Red Cross Youth Task Force (RCYTF) conducts blood drive

Tanisha Pagadala

Senior Chris Arraya is one of the many people who donated blood on March 25. “During the blood drive, we worked at the registration booth and checked in all of the donors as they entered. We also made sure that all donors were hydrated and well-fed so everyone was in the best condition to donate,” Senior Pagadala said

Ashley Hwang, Staff Writer

The Red Cross Youth Task Force (Red Cross YTF) at Jefferson organized a blood drive for the Red Cross on March 25. Jefferson students and staff were able to donate blood for the Red Cross from 10:15 am to 4:00 pm. 

Students decided to donate blood for a myriad of reasons, whether it be to follow in others’ footsteps or just try it.

“I’ve seen my parents and members of my church sacrifice time to donate blood… [and] I’m inspired by their example of selflessness so I wanted to find a way to help others too,” Sophomore Abi Little said. 

The process of planning the blood drive started in September and involved many people.

“We contacted Dave Ross, the Red Cross blood drive coordinator, and set the date for the blood drive… we [also] worked with the 8th-period office to confirm the location for the drive and the attendance office to excuse donors and volunteers,” Red Cross YTF officer Tanisha Pagadala said. 

The requirements for donating blood were to be over 16 years old, weigh 110 pounds or more depending on height, and generally feel well. 

“In the weeks leading up to the drive, we sent out a lot of emails to confirm appointments, get the proper paperwork, and make sure all the donors met the requirements for donation,” Pagadala said. 

The blood drive has been a long-standing tradition at the Red Cross YTF at Jefferson. It was especially important this year, especially because the Red Cross is facing the worst national blood shortage in over a decade. 

“I don’t remember how it first started, but the blood drive has been a Red Cross tradition for as long as I’ve been involved… we really wanted to keep the tradition going this year especially because there’s a national blood crisis,” Pagadala said. 

In total, 33 units of blood were donated at the end of the drive. 

“I’ve never done it before and thought it would be cool to do [it] once. It was a little hard at first but once there was a rhythm it was okay. I think I would do it again because it felt cool,” Senior Michelle Boisvert said.