Top 13 of 2023: Pop Singers

Performing+her+hit+song%2C+Nonsense%2C+Sabrina+Carpenter+stars+on+stage+at+the+Nightingale+Plaza+during+Billboards+National+Music+Publishers+Association+Grammy+Week+Songwriter+Showcase+on+Feb.+1%2C+2023.+
Billboard
Performing her hit song, “Nonsense,” Sabrina Carpenter stars on stage at the Nightingale Plaza during Billboard’s National Music Publishers’ Association Grammy Week Songwriter Showcase on Feb. 1, 2023.

Throughout 2023, many immensely talented music artists had huge breakthroughs through social media platforms and new releases. There have been a vast variety of songs and albums released, from a slow, emotional Golden Globe winner to an upbeat song starring in one of this year’s top films.

These artists have managed to grasp the attention of listeners, making them cry, cheer, laugh out loud and sing along.

They have rightfully earned their place as the top artists of this whirlwind of a year. 

Here are 2023’s top 13.

13. Doja Cat 
Image courtesy of Complex

In September of 2023, Doja Cat released her fourth studio album, “Scarlet.” One song, in particular, grew greatly online on social media platforms but also caused some controversial thoughts on the overall artist. “Paint The Town Red” is the first song listed on Doja Cat’s album, and includes many satanic references. The music video only solidifies the meanings of the lyrics. Despite the increased controversy, the talented artist has created catchy, popular hit songs, and “Scarlet” was a great pop and hip-hop addition. 

12. Harry Styles 
Image courtesy of @Harry_Styles (X)

Harry Styles released his third album in 2022, yet continued to be one of the top streamed artists of this year. “Harry’s House” was released in 2022, and “As It Was” made it to number one on the top charts for an entire fifteen weeks. In 2023, “Harry’s House” won Album of the Year at the Grammys, and Styles gave eleven international shows throughout the year that no doubt grew his fame. 

11. Gracie Abrams 
Image courtesy of uDiscover

Indie pop singer-songwriter Gracie Abrams’s debut album, “Good Riddance,” was released in 2023, while she was opening for Taylor Swift’s “The Eras Tour.” Her unflinchingly honest lyrics and melancholy melodies resonate with all listeners, garnering her a Grammy nomination for Best New Artist. Abrams’s song, “I miss you, I’m sorry,” also gained popularity this year. She is currently featured on “Stick Season” singer Noah Kahan’s album of the same name in a song titled “Everything, Everywhere.”

10. Dua Lipa  
Image courtesy of PM Studio

In May of 2023, Dua Lipa released “Dance the Night,” an upbeat pop anthem accompanying a dance scene in Warner Brother’s “Barbie” (2023), starring Margot Robbie. The disco song gained popularity from the movie and even reached number one on the UK singles chart. It contains exciting, confident lyrics that are a perfect fit for “Barbie.” Lipa even stars in her very own, dominantly pink, music video. 

9. Miley Cyrus 
Image courtesy of Glamour

As part of “Endless Summer Vacation,” Miley Cyrus’s eight studio album, hit songs “Flowers,” “Rivers,” “Jaded” and “Used to Be Young” established their rightful place on the streaming charts. “Flowers” gained lots of popularity on social media, and the upbeat rhythm and lyrics can give listeners a great feeling. The song became so loved that it remained number one on the top charts for an entire eight weeks. Some of her songs such as “Used to Be Young” are slightly sad and reminiscent of past times, but are still loved by fans and online users. 

8. Madison Beer 
Image courtesy of BBC Radio

In September of 2023, Madison Beer released “Silence Between Songs,” her highly anticipated sophomore album. The ethereal project includes her top-streamed song, “Reckless,” with a flowing melody and a melancholy undertone, similar to many of the songs on the album. The emotional album with gorgeous, dream-like imagery and song covers has captured many fans’ attention and gained her the fame she has now. Beer is Grammy-nominated for “Silence Between Songs.”

7. SZA
Image courtesy of NBC News

Many of SZA’s songs have been popular throughout 2023, especially those of her “SOS” album released in 2022. “Snooze” and “Kill Bill” are both included in the album consisting of some slow, melodic rap and R&B. When “Kill Bill” hit number one on the top charts and remained for an entire week in 2023, SZA began to gain more and more fame. Her popularity on social media platforms and generally intense, moody songs great for solo listening brought her to where she is today. 

6. Billie Eilish 
Image courtesy of Variety

Billie Eilish truly made her mark in 2023 with her amazing addition to the “Barbie” movie. “What Was I Made For” is an exceptionally emotional song that finishes off the hilarious yet gut-wrenching film, and was awarded a Golden Globe. The haunting song gives the viewer a deep feeling of the sad reality we live in compared to Barbie-world and brings many listeners to tears. The piano and Eilish’s voice give the song insane depth and accentuate the sadness of the song. 

5. Olivia Rodrigo 
Image courtesy of BBC Radio

In September of 2023, Olivia Rodrigo released a strong rock-pop album titled “GUTS.” One specific song in the album in particular, “Vampire,” became very popular on social media, due to its catchy and relatable lyrics. Rodrigo also hit big when she wrote a song for the newest “Hunger Games” movie, “The Hunger Games: The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes.” The song, titled “Can’t Catch Me Now,” has a very different feel and is slower and mysterious. Rodrigo hit number 16 on the top charts, and her amazing music proves she earned it. 

4. Tate McRae
Image courtesy of Billboard

Tate McRae’s newest lead single, “Greedy,” is responsible for much of her fame throughout 2023. It is a part of her sophomore album “Think Later,” along with “exes,” which also garnered much popularity throughout the year. The songs have a powerful feminine feeling to them, and McRae even stated that “Greedy” was about the “feeling of utter confidence.”  The immensely catchy, striking song consequently hit number three on the Billboard Global 200.    

3. Bad Bunny 
Image courtesy of LA Events

Bad Bunny released the album “Nadie sabe lo que va a pasar mañana,” in October of 2023, and his song “MONACO” dominates Viral charts around the world. With catchy Spanish rap and unique violin instrumentals, “MONACO” is a song most people would recognize immediately when hearing it. Because of the popularity of his album, Bad Bunny was able to hit number 15 on the top charts of 2023. 

2. Sabrina Carpenter
Image courtesy of Us Weekly

When her song “feather” was released in August of 2023, it began to blow up on social media platforms and reached number 56 on the top charts. Along with “feather,” Carpenter’s pop hit “Nonsense” has been becoming increasingly popular in 2023. Both songs are a part of her fifth studio album, “emails i can’t send,” originally released in 2022, and the remix, “emails i can’t send fwd,” released in 2023. Her concert performances leave the biggest impression, including ones where she performed songs from her Christmas EP “fruitcake.” A Christmas version of “Nonsense” was included in the EP, and was performed at the “Jingle Ball” concert, put on by KISS-FM radio. Carpenter topped it all off by opening Taylor Swift’s “The Eras Tour,” and wrapped her tour for “emails i can’t send.”

1. Taylor Swift
Image courtesy of Vogue

It’s no surprise that this globally loved pop star is number one. With three albums released in just 2023, including a remix of “Midnights,” titled “Midnights (The til dawn edition),” “Speak Now (Taylor’s Version)” and “1989 (Taylor’s Version),” all of which debuted at number one on the Billboard charts, her fans have only grown to love her more throughout the year. When she began to date Travis Kelce, a football player for the Kansas City Chiefs, Swifties fell in love with their relationship status as well as Kelce himself. Continuing into 2024, her insanely popular “Eras Tour” hits places across the globe and will only continue to enhance her popularity and enchanting songs.