Cra-Z-y for trends

Exploring the current most popular Gen Z brands and items

Generation Z.

A colorful population of diversity and inclusivity, members of Gen Z are growing up in a world of booming social media and entertainment culture.

Trends change at the speed of light and while it’s hard to keep up, below are some of the current most popular brands and items amongst Gen Z teenagers and young adults.

Image courtesy of Byrdie
Stanley Tumbler

We know Gen Z’s obsession with water bottles. Ever since the Hydro Flask and Owala craze a few years back, cute yet practical water bottles have been especially popular amongst young women and girls. Now Hydro Flask and Owala are out, and Stanley is in. The specific model that went viral is the Stanley Quencher, which is dishwasher safe and comes with a sturdy handle, a straw and numerous colors from pastels to bright neons. The biggest perk is the high-quality insulation technology, keeping drinks hot or cold for several hours. The water bottle’s true quality was tested when a woman revealed on social media that her Stanley Quencher was the only thing that survived after her car caught on fire. It even had ice still inside it. Once a bottle marketed for construction workers and hikers, the Stanley now symbolizes “wellness,” “lifestyle,” and all things “that girl,” offering a vast selection of pastel colors and patterns. The Stanley Quencher was released in 2016, and despite the Stanley brand itself being over a hundred years old, its most viral product is just now growing in popularity. Influence from social media has done a lot for certain companies, with Stanley being one of the largest companies to benefit most from it.

Image Courtesy of Quartz
Discord

One of the most crucial parts of Gen Z is online communication. Being connected 24/7 is important for socializing nowadays. One of the most popular rising communication platforms is Discord. Originally popular with gamers, Discord saw a boost in usage during the COVID-19 pandemic and has now gained popularity amongst all young teenagers. Unlike Instagram or Facebook where users can post content on their feed, Discord is used for the sole purpose of communicating, especially in large groups. The communities or “servers” within the platform can hold up to thousands of people and are great for playing games in large groups, listening to music, or even holding business meetings. 

Image courtesy of Shutterstock
Airpods Max

As much as new, digital innovations are what’s trending, the vintage, analog style is an important part of the Gen Z aesthetic. A good example is the Airpods Max. Given its steep price at $549, this luxury item is often seen on celebrities and influencers rather than your average teenager or young adult. As much as we love the original wireless Airpods that are almost invisible once placed in your ear, the Airpods Max elevates the classic headphone design with a more modern, sleek look while maintaining the same advanced sound technology that Apple provides. Whether you’re putting your headphones on for music, or just wrapping them around your neck, Gen Z style, Airpods Max is the answer. 

Image courtesy of Browns Shoes
Uggs

They say shoes are what complete the look. Uggs were first introduced to the market in the 1970s and were considered one of the most recognizable Y2K brands. Now, bringing a feeling of nostalgia with it, Uggs have made a comeback. Famous celebrities including Bella Hadid, Kylie Jenner, and Zendaya were seen wearing the brand, boosting sales in recent years. The current most popular designs include the Classic Ultra Mini Boot and the Tasman Slippers which are easy to slip on and off while being extra warm during cold winters. Uggs have secured a name in the fashion industry and don’t seem to be leaving anytime soon. 

Lululemon Belt Bag
Image courtesy of Women

Fanny packs, also known as belt bags, were first popularized in the 1980s as a convenient way of carrying essentials while exploring the outdoors. The accessory died down for a bit, but when Lululemon came out with their version in 2018, people didn’t hold back from getting their hands on one. In the summer of 2022, the “Everywhere Belt Bag” blew up on TikTok, amassing millions of views on videos about the product. Made with a water-repellent material and including pockets for storage, the belt bag can be worn over the shoulder or around the waist, perfect for a hike or simply a trip to the store. Matching their belt bag to their outfits, Gen Z deems the item practical and stylish.