Top 13 of 2023: Books

Image courtesy of Gülfer ERGIN (unsplash.org)

The past year was a great one for the revival of books, whether through social media influence or recommendations through friends. Books provide a great way for us to immerse ourselves in different narratives and diverse worlds crafted by authors. They foster environments, from thought-provoking moments to exhilarating action scenes to social commentary. 

Here are the 13 best of 2023.

Image courtesy of rebeccayarros.com

13. “Fourth Wing” by Rebecca Yarros

An exhilarating fantasy, “Fourth Wing” by Rebecca Yarros follows 20-year-old Violet Sorrengail’s journey through her first year at Basgiath War College. Violet faces numerous challenges in school after her commanding general mom insists she join the rider quadrant instead of following the original plan of joining the scribe quadrant. In addition, with each passing day, war nears closer to her home and Violet must choose between following her gut feelings or sticking to her loyalties. This romantasy is perfect for readers who want a fast-paced, action-filled novel.

12. “Iron Flame” by Rebecca Yarros

Taking place directly after the events of “Fourth Wing,” “Iron Flame” continues the saga of Violet Sorrengail, who has miraculously survived her first year in the rider quadrant. Yet the challenges don’t end there. As training intensifies and secrets cumulate, it becomes clear that Violet’s wits may not be enough. The second book of the Empyrean series allows “Fourth Wing” fans to further their journey with Violet in the incredible world Yarros built.

Photo courtesy of nanakwameadjei-brenyah.com

11. “Chain-Gang All-Stars” by Nane Kwame Adjei-Brenyah 

“Chain-Gang All-Stars” is a vividly written dystopian that reflects important American themes, including systemic racism and mass incarceration. The Criminal Action Penal Entertainment is a profit-raising program in the ever-growing private prison system where prisoners can compete for their freedom. However, the consequence of failure is death. Thurwar and Staxxx are both lovers and teammates in the competition and the story follows their journey, from leaving the prison to trying to preserve what little is left of humanity. Written in exhilarating prose, “Chain-Gang All-Stars” is perfect for fans of exhilarating page-turners, such as “The Hunger Games.”

Photo courtesy of bookshop.org

10. “Biography of X”  by Catherine Lacey

After her wife, X, dies, the newly widowed CM devotes herself to writing a biography of X. The challenge of unwrapping the details of X’s life provides CM the opportunity to plunge into the history of the Southern Territory: a fascist theocracy that split from the country during World War II. In doing so, CM uncovers the many intentions of X that were often masked or hidden. This suspenseful novel not only provides readers with a captivating dive into some nonfiction but also blends in the complex yet engrossing story of a mysterious character.

Photo courtesy of abrahamverghese.org

9.”The Covenant of Water” by Abraham Verghese

Spanning 77 years and three generations, “The Covenant of Water” recounts a family living on the Malabar Coast. The story revolves around Big Ammachi, a caring mother, grandmother, and the head of the household. At least one person drowns in each familial generation, leading to unimaginable changes throughout the family’s story. Poetic and heartfelt, Verghese writes a flawless and emotional saga.

Photo courtesy of annpatchett.com

8. “Tom Lake” by Ann Patchett

A story brimming with nostalgia, “Tom Lake” follows a mother, Lara, as she recites the story of her youth to her three daughters as COVID-19 rages around the world. The title, “Tom Lake” is the name of the theater Lara performs at over the summer. There, she meets Peter Duke, an A-list actor. Lara immediately falls for Duke, and the following months of the summer are captured in an alluring slow burn. In sharp contrast, Patchett also writes about the present COVID experience in which life is either filled with doldrums or frenzies. The audiobook narrated by Meryl Streep is the icing on the cake.

Photo courtesy of stacywillingham.com

7. “All the Dangerous Things” by Stacy Willingham 

In “All the Dangerous Things,” Isabelle Drake’s son went missing a year ago. Taken just a few feet from where she and her husband were sleeping, Isabelle won’t give up on the search for her son. However, when she starts to experience intense periods of insomnia, the details that Isabelle had once clearly remembered are now subject to doubt. Haunting and unnerving, Willingham’s book is perfect for those who enjoy psychological thrillers.

Photo courtesy of bookshop.org

6. “The Bee Sting” by Paul Murray

Murray experiments with the butterfly effect in this humorous yet intriguing story. Set in Ireland, the Barnes family has gone from successful and happy family to filled with chaos and failure. The catalyst? It may just have been a bee sting. A tale of perseverance and bouncing back from defeat, “The Bee Sting” is a great book to read when in need of a little inspiration.

Image courtesy of goodreads.com

5. “Weyward” by Emilia Hart 

Another story weaving through generations, “Weyward” recounts the strength and resilience of three women in different periods: Altha, a healer accused of witchcraft; Violet, a daughter trying to learn more about her mysterious mother; and Kate, a pregnant woman who has just fled from her abusive boyfriend. Although they seem like completely different characters, all three women have one quality in common. They share a special — maybe even magical — connection to nature. Fusing three different perspectives, “Weyward” is both captivating and harrowing, with a bit of playfulness sprinkled throughout.

Image courtesy of goodreads.com

4. “Happy Place” by Emily Henry 

Henry is known for writing heartfelt and feel-good stories, and “Happy Place” is no exception. Harriet and Wyn were once the ideal college couple. However, not long after breaking up, they find themselves sharing a residence at a cottage in Maine for their annual friend group’s getaway. This also happens to be the last time their friend group will stay at the cottage. To prevent disappointing their friends during their last group gathering, Harriet and Wyn decide to fake their relationship for the vacation week. With extremely thorough character building and an all-round beachy vibe, “Happy Place” makes a great summer read.

Image courtesy of rfkuang.com

3. “Yellowface” by R. F. Kuang 

Ruthless and discomforting, “Yellowface” shows off Kuang’s ability to come up with unique stories and write them in an addicting manner. June Hayward, a struggling author, is best friends with Athena Liu, an extremely successful writer and literary darling. Naturally, this raises some jealousy on June’s side. When Athena chokes on a pancake and dies, June decides to take Athena’s top-secret new book manuscript and play off the work as her own. “Yellowface” deals with multiple societal issues, such as cultural appropriation and the isolating culture of social media. This unhinged, yet not completely absurd piece, is perfect for readers who like to read thought-provoking and reflective books.

Photo courtesy of marisacrane.org

2. “I Keep My Exoskeletons to Myself” by Marisa Crane 

Even the title is a literary masterpiece. Crane’s exquisitely written debut tells the story of a dystopian society where people are given shadows for their wrongdoings as reminders of their past crimes. After Kris’s wife dies during childbirth, her newborn is given a shadow for causing the death of her mom. The novel recounts the journey of Kris raising her child while great deals of judgment and cruelty constantly loom overhead. “I Keep My Exoskeletons to Myself” is dark, lyrical, and an excellent choice for a rainy day read.

Photo courtesy of annnapolitano.com

1. “Hello Beautiful” by Ann Napolitano

Coming at number one, “Hello Beautiful” is a layered and intense story of the coming together and falling apart of a family. With consistent references to “Little Women,” this book follows avid basketball player William as he falls in love with Julia. William is slowly incorporated into Julia’s close family of three other sisters, a caring but harsh mother, and a deadbeat father. However, when William’s tragic history resurfaces, it ends up testing the family’s loyalty throughout multiple generations. Napolitano creates characters complex enough to make readers laugh, cry, and even sit dumbfounded. Although “Hello Beautiful” was only released couple of months ago, it is almost guaranteed to become a literary classic.