News Brief: Cheer wraps up season

The 2023 record-beating run of the Jefferson cheerleaders
Welcoming+everyone+back+with+a+flurry+of+spirit%2C+the+Jefferson+cheerleaders+hype+up+the+spectators+for+the+back+to+school+bash.+We+talked+to+freshman+varsity+cheerleader+Iryne+Jackson+to+have+a+look+into+how+the+girls+felt+as+a+team.+%E2%80%9CAt+first%2C+I+was+intimidated+by+the+team%2C+especially+since+only+three+other+freshmen+were+trying+out+for+varsity+cheer%2C%E2%80%9D+said+Jackson.+%E2%80%9CBut+all+of+the+girls+are+sweet+and+the+team+is+like+a+big+family.%E2%80%9D+
N. Thomas
Welcoming everyone back with a flurry of spirit, the Jefferson cheerleaders hype up the spectators for the back to school bash. We talked to freshman varsity cheerleader Iryne Jackson to have a look into how the girls felt as a team. “At first, I was intimidated by the team, especially since only three other freshmen were trying out for varsity cheer,” said Jackson. “But all of the girls are sweet and the team is like a big family.”

The Jefferson cheer team handsprings away from a season to remember, placing twelfth at their regional competition Oct. 28. This followed their district competitions, where the team placed fifth in the semifinals and a record high of fourth at finals.

As a Jefferson tradition, the team introduces themselves with a bang every freshmen orientation day.

“It definitely added some excitement,” freshman Sohana Bahl said. “I thought I was just walking into school, but it turns out there was a whole cheer squad ready to hype us up.”

The cheer team is known for their appearances on the sidelines at football games and pep rallies, but routines require intense practice and dedication. 

“We do weeks and weeks of practice,” varsity captain Allison Zhong said. “Cheer can be pretty time-consuming because we all have three-hour practices every day and then weekend practices. A lot of work goes into it.”

Despite the long practices, the team bonds during team dinners and getting ready for tournaments. For example, they have a staple tradition of  listening to Taylor Swift’s “You Belong with Me” to build spirit before competitions. 

“It’s a really popular song, but it also boosts our spirit,” Zhong said. “We get in the competition mode and zone in once we hear that song.”