Unfamiliar to undefeated

Kay Lee

The boys JV lacrosse team poses for a photo after winning the last game of the season, and capping off an undefeated season. “I think the season went well and we definitely improved as it continued,” freshman Jake Foster said.

Marcus Nance, Staff Writer

After only one win in the district last year, the boys junior varsity lacrosse team went undefeated in the district this year. Freshman Jake Foster attributes their success to confidence on offense and communication on defense.

“At first we had a hard time scoring but once the ball started going in the back of the net I think it gave the rest of the team more confidence to shoot and we started to put up more goals,” Foster said. “That paired with a defense that got much better at communicating and executing led to the winning season we ended up having.”

While late season improvements allowed them to retain their undefeated record, what made their success even more impressive was where they started.

“I’m really proud of the boys since many of them didn’t even touch a stick prior to this season. They learned to communicate and play as a team in such a short amount of time which is extremely impressive,” junior captain Jerry Shang said.

Given their ability to adapt and learn, Foster thinks that there is a lot to look forward to over the next few years.

“Most of us had never picked up a stick or even watched lacrosse before the season began, so to get from there to where we are now shows a lot of potential for success the next couple of years at the varsity level,” Foster said.

Although the JV team had lots of success this season, there is more room to grow before the transition to the varsity level.

“The transition from JV to varsity will be difficult, the competitiveness and skill level will increase exponentially but I believe that they can get there with lots of wallballing and more practice,” Shang said. “The future of the [lacrosse] team is in good hands.”