Girls soccer dominates 8-0 against Mount Vernon

Annie Chiu
Senior Aurora Zary and junior Anna Chau run after the soccer ball as they move into the opposing team’s half. “It was definitely a game to be remembered, and I think it’s just a reflection of how hard we all have been working,” junior Josie Clayton added.

On Friday, April 12, the Jefferson women’s soccer team took on Mount Vernon High School and walked away with an incredible 8-0 victory.

“It really was a great game, and we had a lot of fun,” junior Josie Clayton said.

The team scored four of their goals in the first 12 minutes of the game, setting a record for the season. By halftime, the scoreboard was already 5-0.

“We dominated the field for most of the game, our goalie basically did not touch the ball,” Clayton said. “Our strategy was basically just to score as much as we could, and I think we really stuck with that.”

Some players noted the particularly strong wind, which affected the field experience. Nonetheless, Jefferson worked together to produce numerous goals. “It was a little windy, but that didn’t stop us,” Clayton said. 

Scoring one goal and one assist, Clayton saw many opportunities herself during the game as well. She scored a difficult goal with her nondominant foot, and her assist was scored by Sophomore Ayla Zhang inside the box.

Despite Jefferson’s overwhelming number of goals, Mount Vernon’s team still fought hard.

“Their goalie even got a concussion blocking Josie’s shot, they had to replace her with a field player,” junior Mandy Huang said. 

The end score came to 8-0 with five goals in the first half and three in the second. Six players goaled that day—one freshman, one senior, one sophomore and three juniors.

A bunch of different people scored, so it was a really good, really fun game,” Clayton said. 

The 8-0 Jefferson victory demonstrated how hard the team has been working, practicing every day after school for multiple hours.

“It was definitely a game to be remembered, and I think it’s just a reflection of how hard we all have been working,” Clayton added.