Softball plays closest game against Edison in a decade

Nana Sarpong
Junior pitcher Josie Whitaker pitches the ball during the second inning of the game against Edison High School. “I remember really trying to focus on hitting my spots so that the Edison players wouldn’t be able to make solid contact with the ball,” Whitaker said.

After an extremely close game, Jefferson’s softball team lost 9-10 against Edison High School on March 15. 

At the beginning of the game, Edison had an early start, and by the fifth inning, the score was 0-8.

“During the first and second inning of the game, Edison had scored eight points on us, and at this point, I personally thought that we were going to lose this game because there was such a big gap in the scores,” junior outfielder Youbeen Jee said

After a turnover during the fifth and sixth innings, Jefferson scored eight points. At the end of the sixth inning, the score was 8-10.

“In the fifth inning, we started to score, and then in the last two innings, we ended up scoring nine, and so the final score was 9-10 and we almost won,” Whitaker said.  “I was able to get twelve strikeouts.”

Whitaker believes the reason why the team began scoring was because the team’s morale boosted with teammates cheering on their batters.

“After people started getting hits one after another, our energy just rose and we were all cheering on each other loudly, with everyone wanting to do their part for the team,” Whitaker said.

At the end of the game, the final score was 9-10, with Edison taking the victory. Even though Edison had won, this was the closest the team had ever been to beating Jefferson in softball, with the most recent being over a decade ago. Although they had lost, the team maintained high spirits.

“I didn’t expect the scores to get so close to each other because in the beginning we started at 0-8 but we caught up quickly,” Jee said.  “It was dramatic at the end of the seventh inning because the score was very close to each other, but we only lost by one point. I genuinely believe that if we play the second half of the game better, then we might have won and beat Edison.” 

In the end, the team had learned from their mistakes and would use techniques that would help them achieve victory in their next game.

“Something we could improve is communication because a lot of our problems during our game were due to communication errors,” Whitaker said.”When two people go for the ball, someone should call our ball so the other person knows to back off.”