Falling in love with candles

Even though Bath and Body Works fall candles are popular, many of this year’s candles were a miss.
Evelyn Li
While perfume dominate the industry year round, candles make a prominent appearance around November.

With every fall season comes the annual introduction of Bath and Body Works’ signature candles. Each of the ten candles smelled was ranked on the overall smell and how well the candle encapsulated fall.

1. Leaves- The most accurate portrayal of fall, this candle gives off a combination of apples, cinnamon, and nutmeg. However, the name “Leaves” is misleading, as the candle smells nothing like the expected smell of rain and nature. 

2. Pumpkin Bonfire- The smell brought back many memories of a smoky bonfire, but it had the undertones of pine blurring the line between fall and Christmas. Despite smelling the best, it was ranked second because it didn’t completely smell like fall. 

3. Marshmallow Fireside- It has a very sweet smell, just like the name suggests, but it would be a lot better if the scent was stronger due to the fact that there was no distinct smell to the candle. 

4. Sweet Cinnamon Plum- Out of all the candles sampled, this fragrance was a refreshing burst of plums, apples, and dried fruits in contrast to the sweet, muted smells of the previous candles. 

5. Flannel- This candle can be described in one word- cologne.

6. Salted Butterscotch- This candle was honestly way too overpowering with the caramel that it almost smelled like expired butterscotch candy. 

7. Pumpkin Pecan Waffles- Definitely the worst smell out of all the candles smelled. The name was misleading because it was far from the expected scent. It smelled like a waffle overdosed with butter and pecan. The scent was too overwhelming and chaotic that it felt like a headache. 

From the November 2022 Issue of tjTODAY