Jefferson dance team wins big at national dance competition

Performing+kick%2C+pom%2C+lyrical%2C+and+jazz+routines%2C+the+Jefferson+dance+team+competed+in+the+Contest+of+Champions+competition.+%E2%80%9CI+think+our+hard+work+before+and+during+the+competition+really+paid+off+and+it+was+nice+to+be+able+to+celebrate+it+at+Disney+with+my+teammates%2C%E2%80%9D+sophomore+Grace+Lee+said.+

Caroline Johnson

Performing kick, pom, lyrical, and jazz routines, the Jefferson dance team competed in the Contest of Champions competition. “I think our hard work before and during the competition really paid off and it was nice to be able to celebrate it at Disney with my teammates,” sophomore Grace Lee said.

Anya Raval, Staff Writer

Jefferson’s dance team recently participated in the Contest of Champions competition in Orlando, Florida. The team flew to compete and also spent the weekend at Disney. 

The team began preparing for nationals in November and competed in two regional competitions in January. 

“The competition went well. We won first place in our kick category, making us national champs, and third in our lyrical category,” sophomore Grace Lee said. 

The competition also gave the dance team the opportunity to visit the Disney theme parks like Epcot, Hollywood Studios, and Magic Kingdom. 

“We got to Orlando on Friday and went to the Magic Kingdom. On Saturday, we had a full day to go to Epcot where we did a lot of shopping and eating. We also had a mini practice/run-through outdoors for our comp routines because the competition started early Sunday morning. On Monday, our last day, we went to Hollywood studios but had to leave earlier to get to the airport,” Lee said. 

The trip also gave the underclassmen and upperclassmen on the team a chance to bond. 

“I definitely learned a lot from my team members on this trip. Overall, we learned a lot about each other and became a lot more comfortable, which will definitely help us in the future,” Lee said. 

The dance team was able to close out their last competition of this school year. 

“I loved every part of the trip from the park trips, late pre-comp practices the night before, photoshoots, the actual performing and competing, and the late-night pizza party,” Lee said.