Jefferson’s in person activities fair signals a return to normal

Jefferson freshmen examine over 50 activity fair stands set up by upperclassmen.

Elijah Tillemann

Elijah Tillemann, Staff Writer

Jefferson held an in-person activities fair on Friday, Sept. 10 for the first time since 2019.

The activities fair is a Jefferson tradition, allowing freshmen to find 8th period activities they’re interested in. Last year, the activities fair, like most school activities, was held online. With the return to in person activities, many club leaders are eager to bring more people to their club after a difficult year for recruitment.

“Our club started in the middle of the year, so it was hard to find new people,” said Mikhail Minzs, who was running the stand for the Quantum Computing Club, said.

Many freshmen were also excited about the opportunity to find new clubs. From the Japanese Culture Club’s booming taiko drum to the colorful models found in the long rows of STEM based activities there were sights to see everywhere.

“It’s really nice to see all the upperclassmen pitching out their ideas [and] sharing their wisdom,” freshman Manu Kanneganti said. 

Manu was not the only fan of the fair. After a little bit of polling a general feeling of positivity towards the fair was apparent.

“I’ve been able to see a little bit of all the clubs and speak to the people who are present [at] the clubs, so it’s nice to see the different opportunities we have,” freshman Yash Marpu said.