Track competes at States

Sprinting down the track, senior Tucker Stanley competes in the 4×800 relay

Jeremy Kim, Staff Writer

Closing out the winter season, the Jefferson track team competed at Boo Williams Sportsplex on March 2 for the states track meet.

The team performed well with times from sophomore Annika Topchy, junior Trent Moyar, and seniors Sydney Szabos and Tucker Stanley all meeting the MileSplit US Second Team standard.

“I was really happy because our 4 x 800 relay got eighth place. And so we got all-state honors, and we’re happy about that and then [in the] 3200 I got fourth place, which was just unexpected and I was really happy about it, “ Stanley said.

Stanley and Moyar were able to secure fourth place finishes in the 3200-meter run and the 1000 meter run respectively.

“I was very happy with getting fourth place in the 1000. I wasn’t really expecting to do that considering I was 15th in preliminary seeding, but I managed to shave two seconds off my [personal record] and ended up getting a medal, which was awesome. And then [with] the 4 x 800-meter relay, I really felt good about my performance as well. In the end, it was the 1000 meter run that I definitely think I did best,” Moyar said.

Moyar attributes his success to his team’s support and camaraderie.

“I would say it has a very positive effect — just seeing how other people train and using that to change the way you train. It sort of gives you a reason to run [because] times aren’t like a huge motivator to run,” Moyar said. “Being with this group and always going on runs with them is pretty fun. It gives [track] a meaning.“

With the winter season coming to an end, Stanley shares his excitement for the spring season.

“Well, it was pretty short because we started late because we went to like a big meet at the end of cross country, but I think this season, in general, is pretty good. I’m excited about the outdoor season,” Stanley said.