Everything You Need to Know About the Upcoming Winter Sports Season

Winter Sports Guide

Sophomore+Varun+Chilukuri+at+the+Bobcat+Invitational+meet+which+took+place+during+the+2017-2018+winter+season.++

Arnold Sowa

Sophomore Varun Chilukuri at the Bobcat Invitational meet which took place during the 2017-2018 winter season.

Sonia Kanchan, Staff Writer

1. Jefferson winter sports tryouts begin on November 5. For those of you that are unsure about whether or not you want to participate in a winter sport, or if you don’t know what sport you’d like to play, read ahead for testimonies from your fellow students and tryout dates and times.

Basketball
    Tryouts begin on 11/5.
    Boys Varsity: 4-6:00 p.m.
    Boys JV: 7-8:30 p.m.
    Boys Freshman: 6-8:00 p.m.
    Girls Varsity: 9:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
    Girls JV/Freshman: 5-7:00 p.m.
    For more information on boys basketball, email [email protected], and for girls basketball, email [email protected].

“People should join basketball because it is a very fun sport and the players in our program support one another on and off the court. Basketball has allowed me to meet new friends and have fun through the highs and lows of the season. I enjoy working hard during practices throughout the season to see my improvement and take my mind off of school. The memories you make from the overnight, off season workouts, and team camp during the summer are some that you won’t want to miss out on,” junior Justin Park said.

“You should do basketball because it’s really rigorous physically and can keep you in shape, especially when it’s really cold in the winter; it also builds teamwork and you’ll learn a lot of new skills in a short period of time. It doesn’t really matter if you have experience or not because it’s experienced players playing with inexperienced players, and at the end, it doesn’t really matter because everyone trains together. I met some of my closest friends at TJ today through basketball,” sophomore Miranda Xiong, who played on the TJ freshman team last year, said.

Wrestling

Tryouts begin on 11/5.
    Email [email protected] for more information.

“The sport will push you very hard, but in the end you will come out of it with perseverance and confidence, as well as athletic skills. Although wrestling is aggressive, it has a huge technical aspect to it as well. You have to choose the best moves depending on your opponent and timing. The only possible downside is weight-cutting, but you don’t have to do that, unless you are competitive. Wrestling is one of the hardest sports you can do, but I encourage everyone to give it a shot, even if you don’t have experience now,” sophomore Brianna Ta, one of the few girls on the wrestling team, said.

“People should do wrestling because it’s fun and it gets you in really good shape. If you join wrestling, you will become both physically and mentally tough and learn to always give 100% in everything you do. TJ wrestlers always support each other, so even if you have never wrestled before, the team will help you learn the moves and get stronger,” sophomore Gideon Fenster said.

Swim and Dive CoEd

Tryout Dates: 11/8, 11/9, 11/12, 11/13

“TJSD is a family more than anything else, and it’s a group where people can work really hard and have a lot of fun together. I made a lot of friends through TJSD, and I think it’s a really accepting group,” sophomore Anais Beauvais said.

“People say TJSD is a cult, and that’s not completely wrong. We have a saying that TJSD is love, TJSD is life, and it’s true. Even outside of practices and meets we’re a family. We also have fun events like ‘sleepover’ and ‘scavenger hunt,’” sophomore Jason Xu said.

Gymnastics

November 8 at Falls Church
    November 9 at TJ, 4-6:30 pm

“The feeling I get when I do gymnastics is better than anything I’ve ever experienced. Just doing the most basic skills can make me feel like a superhero and make my day so much better. And even though it is an individual sport, the love and support you get from your team is so incredible,” sophomore Navya Vargese said.

“For gymnastics, there’s something in it for everyone, regardless of [your] background. The sport has a lot of variety and flexibility. There are four events – bars, beam, vault, & floor – and you can learn skills at your own pace. The team and coaches are super supportive, and you’ll learn a lot of cool tricks, be it a cartwheel, back handspring, or tuck!” Julia Zhou, a senior who has been a part of TJ Gymnastics since freshman year, said.

Indoor Track and Field
    300m: Monday, November 12
    150m, 1600m: Wednesday, November 14
    500m: Friday, November 16

“I think if you’re into running, whether it’s distance or sprints, you should definitely give track a shot. Our sport is your other sports’ punishments, and I think that’s a really cool thing to be part of. Also, the track community is the best because we bond together during 20 degree weather, and even though running in the winter outside might not seem the best, I can assure you that it’s the best part of my day,” junior Rhoshini Raghuraman, who has been doing indoor track and field since sophomore year, said.

“I think the main reason people should do track and field is because it doesn’t take up as much time as other sports while still maintaining the competitiveness and workout. My own personal reason for joining track is that there are so many events you can do and you have the option to try all of them,” junior Justin Han said.

In order to participate in any of the sports mentioned above, make sure to complete concussion education, and turn in your Emergency Care Form within the next week before grabbing a sports pass from Ms. Murphy.