Namaste Choreography begins for Club Showcase at I-Nite

Anjali Khanna

Students learn dance steps which they will perform in February for Namaste’s annual I-Nite.

Anjali Khanna

It’s coming. It’s the event that students line up around the hall to get tickets for. It’s the event that singles out the culture of Jefferson from that of other schools across the county. And when it comes, the Namaste Indian Culture club will be ready.

International Night (I-Nite) has always been hosted by Namaste, with the show’s beginning always featuring a showcase of Indian dances put together by members of the club. For this year’s I-Nite, Namaste has already begun to teach the choreography of the dances and hold practices during eighth period, in order to better ready themselves for the performances in February.

“I think it’s good that we’ve started so early, because there’s a lot that has to be finished,” sophomore Ananya Suri, an I-Nite choreographer, said. “We definitely started earlier this year than last.”

The Indian culture club is planning to do six dances this year: senior girls, couples, guys, Bollywood-style, Bhangra-style and Indian Classical. Because of the remarkable number of underclassmen involved in the eighth period club, the Bhangra, Bollywood and Indian Classical style dances will only feature freshmen and sophomores.

However, unlike other clubs participating in I-Nite, Namaste must choreograph routines for the event while simultaneously coordinating it. The performances usually run multiple nights, so more of the student body can get the opportunity to come see the show. Also, unlike in previous years, more Jefferson students have decided to participate in I-Nite, rather than watch.

“My favorite part about this year’s I-Nite is probably the amount of people participating. It’s amazing to see how popular the Namaste dances are, even for people who aren’t Indian,” Suri said.