Speaker brings proteomics to Jefferson

Miquel Antoine from the Applied Physics Laboratory at Johns Hopkins University presents to students about proteomics.

Lindsay Williams, Online editor

On Friday, Nov. 8, guest speaker Miquel Antoine, from the Applied Physics Laboratory (APL) at John Hopkins University, came to Jefferson and spoke to students enrolled in the marine biology and DNA technology classes about the importance of studying proteomics and mass spectrometry.

Proteomics is the study of proteins in relationship to genes. Antoine felt that it was important to introduce students to the emerging field as an example of what science can do.

“I want the kids to know what they can do with science, the opportunities that are out there, that it’s not just what you see in the classroom,” Antoine said.

Students enjoyed the presentation because it was an insight into a field that not many people are familiar with.

“She provided interesting insights into a field which I previously didn’t know much about – the field of mass spectrometry,” junior Paris Mitzelfeld said. “I found it fascinating.”

Antoine’s presentation was offered in relation to the USA Science and Engineering Festival that will take place in Washington, D.C., in the spring.