Jefferson smashes Stuart

Jefferson football players watch their teammates during the game.

Yena Seo

Following the excitement of the Back-to-School Bash on Sept. 6, Jefferson’s football team dominated the field against the J.E.B. Stuart High School in front of a full crowd, with the score coming down to 30-0.

The Colonials started off strong in the first quarter, never slowing down as they continued scoring against the Raiders. Touchdowns were made by seniors Andrew Fountain, Tim Zhong and Nathan Kim.

“I think Andrew’s touchdown was a great play, it was a great catch,” Zhong said. “Our defense had many great plays too. I think we sacked their quarterback five or six times.”

The defense was consistent throughout the game, stopping every attempt by the Raiders to score. Seniors Brian Welch, Jason Kim and Fountain each had quarterback sacks, while junior Donny Waymire and seniors Daven Kim and Kia Eskandarian had a number of tackles.

“The team had great chemistry and we shut them out on defense, though we had some issues with focus because of nervousness and excitement which caused some avoidable penalties,” senior Josh Fang said. “But I think the game went really well.”

On the offensive side, Nathan Kim was excellent at running the ball with some great runs, including a 35-yard run in which he broke six tackles.

“There aren’t many names I consider synonymous with greatness, but after this game, Nathan Kim will certainly be one of those names,” senior Zartosht Ahlers said.

The game was themed as a “Black-Out,” with students sporting black clothing and paint. There are nine more games left, four of which will be played at home.

The Colonials travel to Falls Church High School next week, where they will take on the Jaguars.

“Based on the game, I see us doing well this season,” sophomore Nick Lemanski said. “We have the talent to have as good of a season as last year, and maybe even better.”