TJ Publications score Best of Show wins and Write-Off success

Left to right: sophomores Sandy Cho, Alexis Williams and Ellen Kan, junior Shayna Hume, senior Sunny Kim and sophomore Lindsay Williams hold up the publications awards.

The last event of the NSPA/JEA Spring Journalism Convention was the most nerve-wracking for the staffs of the nationally competitive publications attending the closing ceremony. For the students involved with Threshold, Techniques and tjTODAY, this year’s session proved to be worth the wait.

Jefferson’s literary magazine, Threshold, took first place in their Best of Show category while Techniques placed fourth and tjTODAY placed sixth in their respective competition categories.

In the JEA Write-Offs, tjTODAY editors garnered  awards in the three competition categories: superior, excellent and honorable mention.  Sophomore Ellen Kan scored a superior in feature writing; junior Shayna Hume and sophomore Alexis Williams scored excellent in editorial writing and news writing; and senior Sunny Kim and sophomore Sandy Cho took home honorable mentions in commentary writing and headline/caption writing.

“It felt great bringing home a national award, especially because I prepared hard with my Associated Press Stylebook,” Cho said.