Students meet with their legislators

PTSA Government Relations chair Cheryl Buford, seniors Nalini Singh and Alec Brenner, freshman James Park and senior Saloni Chaswal met Delegate J. Randall Minchew on Capitol Day.

Over a dozen students talked to Virginia legislators on Feb. 19, Capitol Day. Asst. Principal Heather Sondel accompanied the group, which included student government leaders and Intel and Siemens semfinalists.

The week before the trip, participants met with Sondel to prepare for the discussions. Student representatives from other high schools, such as Maggie Walker Governor’s School in Richmond, attended as well. The purpose of the trip was to communicate the importance of Governor’s Schools, and in Jefferson’s case, the importance of science funding and research labs.

In Richmond, the students split up into smaller groups. Within each group, the students met with the delegates and senators of each group member. They met with each delegate for 10-15 minutes.

However, because many of the delegates were busy with work for the general assembly, the students weren’t able to meet with all of them. In those cases, the students met with their legislative aides.

“We gave them a first-hand account of what we do at TJ. When they talk to other legislators, they’ll have some concrete examples to give about why we feel we need more funding for science research labs,” Chaswal said.

After talking to the legislators, the students watched a live video of the proceedings in the general assembly viewing room. They were also given a tour of the state capital after lunch.

“It is common for any group who receives funding from the government to talk to their representatives. They get to have some face time,” Sondel said.

(This article originally appeared in the February 28, 2013 print edition.)