Students recognized by Scholastic for art

The Alliance for Young Artists and Writers announced the winners of the regional Scholastic Art Awards. Seniors Emily Bartlett, Emily Barrett, Zach Ho, Lohitha Kethu and Michelle Wang, junior Ji Whae Coi, sophomore Jeong-In Seo and freshman MinJoo Kang were the students honored.

The awards were given based on artistic excellence in categories ranging from photography to digital art to drawing.

All Gold Key-winning art will be entered into the national Scholastic competition. Winners of the national competition are eligible for scholarship prizes, and their artwork will be displayed in a large exhibition at the Corcoran Gallery of Art.

Fairfax County Public Schools will host an Award Recognition Ceremony for the regional winners with a gallery of  the winning artworks at the Northern Virginia Community College on Feb. 19 at 7:30 p.m.

“This year has been one of our best years with more students submitting art portfolios,” art teacher Tim Davis said. “I am very pleased with the selection of winners and the strength of the artwork.”