German students celebrate culture with food, music and awards

S. Reed
Students in German class feature arrays of traditional German foods and lively music, constructing a memorable experience as the end of the school year approaches. Attendees experience a festive atmosphere filled with laughter, learning and delicious foods. “My favorite part of the grill fest was definitely the food because I really enjoyed the sausage, pretzels and doughnuts,” sophomore Darwin Goldstein said. “I was also amused by the interesting music that we listened to.”

On Friday, May 31, Jefferson students taking German attended an after-school class event, intending to celebrate the achievements of students. The Grillfest provides an opportunity for German Honor Society to receive academic achievements and savor traditional cuisines.

“Grillfest is usually to celebrate and commemorate German kids for achievements from the past year,” sophomore Veda Murphy said. “We induct new German Honor Society members, give out awards for the Deutsch Olympiad and give awards for outstanding students throughout the year.”

This ceremony was underlining the awards of others, aiming to honor the diligent efforts of various students throughout the year. The food reflected the essence of German culinary heritage, probing national identity within scattered communities.

“Awards included the academic awards, senior farewell gifts, and paper plates [that] made the Grillfest special, ” sophomore Austen Ji said. 

Students reflect on their journey with the German language throughout the school year, emphasizing a close-knit community is formed by studying the German language and culture. Some have connections and experiences beyond the classroom.

“My favorite part of the event was [senior] Garv [Jain’s] sister’s alumni speech because I liked how she talked about taking German more seriously as years went by and having a tight community with their classmates, which is also the same way I feel about taking German,” sophomore Hanseon Lee said.