Looking back and ahead

Students reflect on challenges and anticipate end-of-year events
Preparing for English class, sophomore Annie Chiu focuses on an upcoming activity. We have an activity called an “elevator pitch,” so I’m reading the book we’re doing on it and finding textual evidence for that, Chiu said.
Annie Chiu
Preparing for English class, sophomore Annie Chiu focuses on an upcoming activity. “We have an activity called an “elevator pitch,” so I’m reading the book we’re doing on it and finding textual evidence for that,” Chiu said.

After months of missing assignments, last-minute deadlines and sleepless nights, the end of the school year is approaching. Students have begun reminiscing about their experiences throughout the year 

“Time management was such a struggle. As a sophomore, I have not gotten better since freshman year, unfortunately,” sophomore Annie Chiu said. “But this quarter, I’m making sure I have everything to combat my weaknesses.” 

Along with time management, students have also struggled to keep up with study habits due to Jefferson’s intense academic rigor and fast-paced learning environment.

“The biggest challenge I’ve encountered is definitely learning study skills and study habits and also thinking that some things are going to be easy when they really weren’t, but I think the best thing that came out is I know how to have a good work ethic. I developed new study skills,” freshman Ameya Rao-Mallela said.

As students look towards the last few weeks of the school year, many are experiencing a mix of anxiety and anticipation. Final exams, projects and events can create an atmosphere of uncertainty. 

“I’m looking forward to these last few weeks, but I’m also a little nervous. [I’m] just getting used to this routine, and it’s going to feel weird coming out of it. But I do think that change is the best way to grow,” Chiu said.

Although the stress of AP exams and finals have prevented students from fully enjoying the end of the year, upcoming events, such as J-Day, serve as a source of excitement.

“I’m looking forward to J-Day because I’ve heard a lot of people say that it’s really fun.” Rao said. “Our theme is Super Mario, so my friends and I are going to dress up as the characters.”