‘Jujutsu Kaisen’ redefines modern anime

Satoru+Gojo+and+Suguru+Geto+break+through+glass%2C+getting+ready+for+the+Hidden+Inventory+Arc+of+Jujutsu+Kaisen.+
Image courtesy of MAPPA
Satoru Gojo and Suguru Geto break through glass, getting ready for the Hidden Inventory Arc of Jujutsu Kaisen.

“Jujutsu Kaisen” season two began releasing in July 2023, with the finale on Dec. 28, 2023. In the first five episodes of the season, the show begins with the Hidden Inventory Arc. It delves into the past of Satoru Gojo, along with his best friend Suguru Geto, taking on critical roles in a mission. 

After, the show continues into the Shibuya Incident Arc which brings us to the present timeline where the characters find themselves in Shibuya fighting against Geto to take him down. During this arc alone, many emotions pass by that push Jujutsu Kaisen to show their best in storytelling and animation. Each moment makes the viewer excited and is a masterpiece to watch

During the Hidden Inventory arc, the past of Satoru Gojo as a teen is revealed to the public. The animation during these episodes is simplistic but represents times when Gojo didn’t hold so much responsibility over the sorcerer world. Towards the end of the arc, Gojo states, “Throughout Heaven and Earth I alone am honored.” When fighting against Toji Fushiguro, this sentence alone paired with the song and cinematography of the show marked Jujutsu Kaisen as one of the best animes of modern times.

When the Shibuya Incident Arc begins, the main cast returns to fight against Geto and other cursed spirits who have sealed Gojo and taken over Shibuya. Throughout the rest of the season, I found myself resonating with each character more so than in season one. When Choso fights against Itadori Yuji, the great animation helps show the anger and resentment he has because of his bond with his brothers. Here at this very moment, we see the depth of Yuji’s growth and even if he isn’t the star of his anime, he becomes the one to bring the other characters to their best. I think that Yuji could’ve been shown more because I often forgot that Yuji himself is the main character of Jujutsu Kaisen. o

During this arc, many important events and battles took place, shaping every single character’s mentality moving forward. In the end, many sorcerers have died, yet Gojo remains sealed. Truly, this is some of the best storytelling in modern anime. There is so much development in our main character, Itadori, who is a jujutsu sorcerer looking forward to fighting. He has been scarred by the deaths of his comrades and has come to think about this place in the jujutsu world.

The spectacular story, paired with some of the best animation scenes that studio MAPPA has ever produced, elevates the show. With every single fight scene, the details add to Choso’s cursed technique and Toji’s sheer strength and speed become immaculate and one-to-one representations of the manga. Although, in the latter parts of the season some of the fights began to lose me due to their scale it can become confusing to follow along.

This season of “Jujutsu Kaisen” brings so much more backstory to not only Satoru but to other characters as well. In addition, we see the struggle the Jujutsu sorcerers face by themselves, which pushes them all to grow greatly. Within every fight scene, there is not a single frame where the viewer isn’t at the edge of their seat or focused intently on the show. “Jujutsu Kaisen” has truly come to be one of the best modern anime of all time.

View Comments (1)

• A

Aravind NaiduMar 4, 2024 at 11:53 am

woah this is amazing!

Reply