Candy grams spread holiday cheer

Candy grams were sold by Class of 2027 during lunch in various commons throughout the week as a way to get students excited about the holiday break. “We chose to do candy cane grams mainly because we wanted to have a fun last two weeks before winter break,” freshman Landon Huie said. “We enjoyed the idea of spreading a little cheer during these final weeks of 2023.”

From Monday, Dec. 4 to Friday, Dec. 8, the 2027 Class Council representatives hosted a fundraiser selling “Candy Grams” – candy canes with notes written on them that students could deliver to their friends, teachers, or even themselves. A student from any class could purchase one candygram for $1, or three for $2. 

“The students that bought the Candy Gram [could have] either handwritten a note on a card or left it blank to keep it anonymous,” freshman Audrey Li said. 

Students themselves did not deliver their personalized holiday treat. 

“After you [bought a candy gram] and filled out the card, the cards [got] processed and sorted, and class council [delivered] all candy canes on Monday, Dec. 11, to advisory classes,” Li said. 

As the first fundraiser of the year created by the freshmen class, the candy grams gained lots of popularity. It was a unique way to get students excited about the approaching winter break. 

“The 2027 class council introduced candy grams with the advent of Winter Break and Christmas,” freshman class council president  Dhanvin Gankeshkumar said. “We thought it would be a great way to get the entire school involved as the holiday season approaches.” 

A schedule of the areas around the school available to purchase their little gifts of holiday cheer was used to advertise for the candy grams. Students could buy candy grams at every commons on Monday, Dec. 4th. The rest of the week was limited to Nobel Commons, Turing Commons, the Auditorium Lobby, and Hopper Commons. 

Anyone, whether they are freshmen, sophomores, juniors, seniors, or even teachers, [could] buy candy grams,” Gankeshkumar said. “Sales continued for the entire week and concluded on Friday the 8th.”

With the holiday season approaching, candy grams connected students and teachers within  Jefferson and created a welcoming and spirited community. 

“People should buy candy grams to show appreciation to friends, staff, and admin,” freshman class council vice president  Landon Huie said. “Maybe you don’t get the chance to talk to old friends, or you have some old teachers that you really look up to.”