NHS continues Beth el Hebrew book drive tradition

Sophia Guo
National Honor Society (NHS) collected a variety of items, ranging from books to puzzles, that will be donated to the Beth el Hebrew congregation. Posters were hung where collection boxes were located. Although donations stopped on Nov. 17, students can still donate to the cause. “If students still want to donate to the book drive, they can contact the Beth el Hebrew congregation itself,” Nelson said.

Throughout late October to early November, National Honor Society (NHS) hosted its annual book drive. Numerous cardboard boxes were set out, from two in AudLob to one in front of the library. NHS members were required to bring two books directly to Laureen Nelson, the NHS sponsor.

“More books are welcome, but [there was] a minimum of two,” Nelson said. “It [didn’t] have to be books either, it could be puzzles, DVDs, or albums.”

The book drive was available for all Jefferson students to participate in. Non-NHS members could drop donations off in the donation boxes, as well.

“The student-wide donation boxes ended Nov. 17, but we are having a new crop of inductees coming in at the end of December, and we’re going to ask them to participate by bringing in a book as well,” Nelson said.

This is not Jefferson’s first time participating in the Beth el Hebrew congregation’s book sale. In fact, was the chapter service project just a few years ago. Chapter service projects are designated projects that the NHS chapters decide to do as their official designated service project for the year. All NHS members are required to participate.

“They reached out to us last year, and I said, ‘Wow, that’s cool! I didn’t know this used to be a thing. Hey, let’s make this a thing again,’” Nelson said. “We talked with the officers, and the officers loved the idea.”

Members may collect service hours from this year’s book drive, however, ways to earn hours vary from the different types of projects done throughout the years.

“Some people may do other things, such as a bake sale or a car wash. It doesn’t have to be a fundraiser,” Nelson said. “However, if it is a fundraiser, the donations must go somewhere. It is not for the chapter to keep.”

The donations from the book drive will be sent to the Beth el Hebrew congregation, an organization that hosts a book sale every President’s weekend. The funds raised from the book sale then get donated to local safety net programs.

“By participating in this project, with this particular 501c3, we are impacting numerous local charities,” Nelson said.

Although members aren’t required to volunteer at the President’s weekend book sale, it is encouraged.

“It’s a great thing to do,” Nelson said. “Everyone who volunteers there has a great time.”