Deadline to drop from BC Calculus to AB approaches

Junior Angad Dhillon encourages students considering dropping from BC Calculus to AB to examine their long-term goals and what role BC would play in them. “I think a lot of students should let go of their ego and think about their future in a practical way, because they could benefit from dropping, especially if they aren’t doing [Multivariable Calculus] next year,” Dhillon said.

Laura Zhang, Team Leader

As the end of the first quarter approaches on Oct. 28, so does the deadline for students to drop a course without it appearing on their academic record. Students have until five school days after receiving their first quarter report card to drop a year-long course. If students choose to drop a course after this date, they will receive a withdrawn passing (WP) or withdrawn failing (WF) on their transcript.

A common course drop at Jefferson is going from BC Calculus to AB. The process generally begins with a counselor or teacher reaching out to students currently struggling in the class.

“Last year, my counselor approached me and asked if dropping BC would be a good option for me,” junior Angad Dhillon said. “After analyzing my grades and thinking about my path for success, I thought that it would be a better option to switch down to AB.”

After spending the rest of the year in AB, Dhillon believes that he made the right decision for himself. Because AB follows a slower pace than BC, he was able to quickly adjust to his new class.

“I ended up with a very good grade in the end, and I don’t think that I would have done as well in BC,” Dhillon said. “When I first transferred, we were learning topics in AB that I’d already learned in BC, so it was a very smooth transition.”

Although students may feel pressured to stay in BC because it is a more challenging course, Dhillon emphasizes that dropping to AB could actually be a better choice for certain students. Taking AB instead of BC reduces stress and workload while still providing a comprehensive calculus education.

“If you think that it will be hard to reach your goal in BC, it might be worth considering dropping, because you’re still taking an AP and calculus. It’s still a college-level course,” Dhillon said.