Nov. 8 is election day for Virginia’s seats in House of Representatives

Robert Stotz, Print Editor in-Chief

Nov. 8 marks election day for the state of Virginia’s seats in the US House of Representatives. The deadline for registration was Oct. 17, wherein students who are citizens and age 18 or older on the scheduled date were eligible to register to vote for their district’s respective candidates. 

The three districts relevant to the Jefferson community include District 8, District 10, and District 11. All three races involve incumbent democrats defending their seats against the challenging republican candidate, and center around hot button issues such as abortion regulation, inflation, and education.

District 8 includes the regions of Arlington County, the Cities of Alexandria and Falls Church, and portions of Fairfax County. The candidates for this district are republican Karina Lipsman, an immigrant Ukraine whose ads center around the American dream, and democrat Donald Sternoff Beyer Jr., who campaigns on the issues of climate change and gun violence. 

District 10 includes the regions of Clarke County, Frederick County, Loudoun County and parts of Fairfax County and Prince William County. The candidates for this district are democrat Jennifer Wexton, who places abortion and crime at the front of her ballot, and republican Hung Cao, who places their patriotism and time with the US Navy at the front of his ballot. 

Several of Wexon’s ads attack Cao’s far right views with regards to abortion, as well as his response to the January 6th insurrection. Cao takes a similar approach, but chooses to target President Biden’s “woke” government and his handling of COVID-19 pandemic.

District 11 includes most of Fairfax County, all of the City of Fairfax, as well as part of eastern Prince William County. The candidates for this district are republican James Myles, a former federal judge and air force pilot, and democrat Gerald Edward Connolly, who seeks to enter their 8th term as a representative in the House. 

Myles ads seek to associate Connolly with President Biden and criticize the two over their tax legislation. Connolly, given their experience in the field of Virginia politics, is sticking to the strengths in their policies. 

Current polls place all three district races safely in the hands of the democratic candidate. With data taken from RaceToTheWH.com, chances for the incumbent’s victory in district 8, 10, and 11 are 98.5%, 96.5%, and 98.5% respectively.