Jefferson Crew season kicks off with a splash

Sandy+Run+Regional+Park+is+where+on-water+practices+for+Jefferson+crew+rowers+take+place.+After+holding+virtual+and+socially-distanced+off-water+training+and+practices%2C+the+crew+team+has+recently+begun+on-water+sessions+for+the+year%2C+with+several+safety+precautions+newly+in+place.+

Photo Courtesy of Ketevan Gallagher

Sandy Run Regional Park is where on-water practices for Jefferson crew rowers take place. After holding virtual and socially-distanced off-water training and practices, the crew team has recently begun on-water sessions for the year, with several safety precautions newly in place.

Ketevan Gallagher, Staff Writer

Many Jefferson sports have had to adapt to our new reality due to the pandemic, including the crew team. On-water practices at Sandy Run started for the team on Monday, April 12, but even before that virtual exercise meetings were held so rowers could still exercise with other teammates. 

In-person (but off-water) practices have also been held in the Jefferson parking lot for rowers to practice on the erg machines. Returning sophomore rower Becca Jefferies shared how she was happy that the team gave rowers the chance to exercise with others.

“It’s so much more fun to work out with the team than on my own, so I really appreciated when [the team] started doing virtual training, because even though we couldn’t be [physically] together in-person, we could still talk to each other,” Jefferies said.

The crew team had to make many adjustments and implement measures of precaution to keep everyone safe on the water this year. For example, the oars and boats are cleaned after each practice, and there are only three school teams allowed at the boathouse at one time. Rowers also wear masks throughout, and coxswains wear a face shield while on the boat.

“[Crew is] definitely different this year. The biggest difference is probably [that there’s] no land training, because last year we would do a lot of working out on the water and on land, so we’d run hills, etc. Last year, we used to hang around for a while just talking before and after practice too,” Jefferies said.

Although coaches have yet to explain how races will happen this year, Jefferies is optimistic about how the coaches will handle this hurdle.

“I’m just really happy that [on-water practice] started, and it’s just really fun to see all my crew friends on a regular basis and to be able to train on the water instead of at home,” Jefferies said.