Senior James Huang passes away

Photo courtesy of Techniques

Senior Sean Nguyen, a close friend of James recalls working with him on TJTV News. “I picked up videography as a result of his patient and warm-hearted mentorship. Despite all my hiccups and mistakes, James would stay collected and give me direction solely out of kindness,” Nguyen said.

Pratika Katiyar, Editor-in-Chief

James Huang, rising senior member of 2021 Class Council, TJ Cross Country, and TJTV,  passed away on July 18, 2020. He was a well-rounded student and active member of the community.

Class of 2020 alum and former TJTV Executive producer Ashley Huang shares that Huang had a natural-born affinity for film and video editing, and often used it to contribute to the morning announcements.

“James liked helping me and the broadcast crew with the weekly video morning announcements. He was always so sweet and polite with everyone on our team, cracked jokes in our group chat, and was so patient with me when I first started learning how to use our new editing software, as he was leaps and bounds more advanced than me,” Huang said. 

Kevin Liu was best friends with Huang since the seventh grade. As they transitioned into high school, they made more memories by being a part of the cross country team.

“James was an amazing and funny person who would never fail to make my day.” Liu said. 

Christina Ketchem was Huang’s counselor and recalled that Huang was an active and creative member in the Jefferson community.

“James radiated an innate sweetness—something that can’t be taught.  He was an expressive, creative helper and strove to make TJ a more inclusive place,” Ketchem said.

Huang’s service will be held on July 27 from 11-12 p.m. at Fairfax Memorial Park. Guests are asked to arrive at the cemetery office building by 10:45 a.m.. 

The TJ Student Government Association is also gathering memories, photos, videos and testimonials of James to share with his family, and you can share them at this link.

If you are struggling with Huang’s passing and/or need someone to talk to, please utilize the mental health resources below and reach out to trusted adults such as parents, teachers, or counselors. 

• Text NEEDHELP to 85511 for the Crisis Link Hotline or call 703-527-4077
  • Chat online with a specialist at CrisisChat.org or ImAlive.org
  • Call an emergency mental health center: 703-573-5679 (Merrifield Center), 703-536-2000 (Dominion Hospital), 703-289-7560 (INOVA emergency services)  
  • National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255