Quiz Bowl team makes most of Maggie Walker tournament

The B-team, comprised of junior Sid Verma, senior Sarah Eltinge and sophomore Ranjani Parthasarathy, competes at the GSAC XX Tournament.

The tournament moderators seem to pride themselves on their rapid delivery of inexplicably hard scholastic questions. Rachmaninoff or Fibonacci?  Opera or the Periodic Table. Three Jefferson teams fielded 10 rounds of questions each against competitors from up and down the East Coast and as far west of Lexington, Kentucky, until only two titan teams remained for the winner’s round.

The GSAC XX Tournament was held at the Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School in Richmond on Dec. 8.

In the end, Montgomery Blair A played Jefferson A and edged seniors Raynor Kuang and Luke Waddell out by the slimmest of margins. Both the B and C teams did well in their respective divisions ending the day with six wins and four losses each.

“It never ceases to amaze me how much information these students know,” said Quiz Bowl co-sponsor Jennifer Seavey. “Being around so many students who find passion in the acquisition of knowledge makes me think our educational system really works despite all the obstacles we face.”

TJ Quiz Bowl will be hosting their annual fall tournament at Jefferson this coming Saturday.