2021 Class Council hosts Skate Night

Courtesy of Matthew Hwang

Juniors Kashika Danjal and Julia Feldhaus and sophomore Faith Wu smile while skating together. “I loved being able to hang out with my friends in a non-school setting,” Wu said.

Nathan Mo, Staff Writer

2021 Class Council hosted a skate night at the Fairfax Ice Arena on Friday, Jan. 24 as a fundraiser to celebrate the winter season. 

“We really wanted to incorporate the season of winter in our fundraiser to make [it] more thematic, so that’s why we chose ice skating,” 2021 class council president Matthew Hwang said. 

In addition, the end of midterms and the semester were also factors which played into the scheduling of the event. 

“As juniors, we’ve all experienced a lot of stress. We just wanted to give the student body a way to have some fun and not be so worried about school all the time,” 2021 class council senator Didi Elsyad said. 

When planning the event, the class council initially planned for the event to be in December, but due to issues with FCPS policies regarding contracts, they had to reschedule the event. 

“Technically, this was supposed to be in December of 2019. However, due to FCPS policies about contracts and liability issues, it wasn’t able to pass,” Hwang said. “But since Fairfax Ice Arena agreed to host the fundraiser, we were able to hold the event.”

Organizers and event-goers alike were pleased with the experience. Sophomore Marina Wang found the event enjoyable because it allowed her to connect with her friends while de-stressing from midterms week. 

“I thought Skate Night was a great opportunity to relax and connect with friends,” Wang said. “I found it super relaxing especially after midterms and finals as well.”