Indoor Guard/Drumline Performance Photo Gallery

Anuj Khemka, Staff Writer

• Huddling up prior to their performance, the drumline receives a talk from teachers Adam Foreman and Steve Ballard.

• Using hand gestures to emphasize his words, freshman Zander Kuebler provides a narrated introduction to the drumline performance.

• A group of percussionists move from side to side while tapping quickly on their instruments. “Early on in the season, we were learning playing basics marching basics and we began to learn the music for the show,” freshman Chiraag Govind said. “ We essentially practiced everyone moving from one dot on a grid to another on certain counts until we had all of the basic movement.”

• Leaning into his drum, freshman Benjamin Chang plays the instrument, complementing the other percussionists in the performance. “At the start of the season, I hadn’t even carried a bass drum before so it was hard to get started with drumline. But, as they say, practice makes perfect,” Chang said. “I just kept trying to stay upright with the drum throughout each rehearsal and eventually carrying it became easy.”

• Flashing a wide smile, senior Laura Gersony beats the drum hanging from her shoulder. “Marching with proper marching technique can be difficult at the beginning of the season, especially when you‘re still adjusting to the extra weight,” Gersony said. “But as the season goes on, the drum starts to feel lighter and more like a natural extension of your body.”

• Music playing in the background, Gersony moves slowly in line with the beat with her hand held out. “During the show, we use subtle auditory and visual cues to stay in time with the other parts,” Gersony said. “At any given time, each individual should know their “tempo responsibilities,” meaning whether they’re actively setting the tempo or simply playing in time with the dominant melody.”

• With percussion music playing in his background, freshman Nathanael Tewodros stands near the audience, shoulders hunched. Although the main focus of the performance is the music, the performance involves dance as well. “When we don’t use our instruments, we are typically doing choreographed dances that are made to match musical phrases or little queues,” Tewodros said.

• Rolling out a large painted mat, sophomore Suemin Yang helps the color guard prepare the gym floor for their performance.

• Striking a menacing pose, junior Vicky Vang holds out her sword. “[Ferocity] is the key to our entire show. Color guard is a type of art and what we’re doing in our show is telling a story,” Yang said. “If we don’t try to immerse ourselves and don’t try to act like a wolf, the audience isn’t as affected.

• Amidst the whirl of flags, guns, and swords, junior Levi Gardner faces the audience, momentarily standing still. “Giving performances for the school really showcase the talent in our program. It also lets people know that we exist; since we kinda operate out of the back of the band wing, it’s easy for people to forget we’re a thing,” Gardner said.

• Whirling their flags in unison, a group of performers maintain an aura of ferocity to complement their 2019 routine, “The Pack.”

• Holding her flag by the top of its pole, freshman Alana Nii spins around.

• Prop gun in hand, junior Jane Wang gazes up, clenching her fist. “It’s very important for guards to kind of “sell” the show. The color guard judges look at technique, overall effect, and show design and even though the audience reaction won’t be factored in it really helps us to be more confident in our movements,” Wang said.

• Ending their performance, the performers group together at the edge of the mat and snarl at the audience. Actions such as these are critical to maintaining the aspect of ferocity that is vital to the routine. “When performing, acting ferociously allows the audience to connect with the performers and helps develop the show,” Gardner said.