Read, read, read!

Freshman Micaela Wells reflects on her favorite memories of reading as a child.

National Reading Month is about more than the Dr. Seuss books pictured above. It’s a time to reflect on cherished childhood memories associated with favorite books. Freshman Micaela Wells believes that reading is a vital part of her life and has shaped the way she feels, thinks, and perceives the world around her.

Nidhi Chilukuri, Staff Writer

Everyone remembers favorite books from their childhood. From The Cat in the Hat to Magic Tree House, reading was the perfect way to escape from reality and dive into a exhilarating, immersive universe where anything and everything could happen. Reading fueled creativity and imagination, and it was an integral part of learning to write. Today, Jefferson students spend so much time on homework and extracurriculars that reading for enjoyment is something that often gets neglected. But when Jefferson students do have time to pick up a book, they fondly recall memories from the time when reading was more than just a part of English class.

“When I was little I remember loving everything by Beverly Cleary, especially the Ramona books. They were really funny and I just liked reading about all of Ramona’s adventures. I haven’t reread them in years, but I look back on them as a great source of entertainment during my childhood. I also loved the Mysterious Benedict Society series. I could really connect with the characters and they were just really fun to read.” Freshman Micaela Wells said.

Wells, among others, can easily recall favorite childhood books. And, of course, Harry Potter is one classic series that stands out to her even today.

“In fourth grade, I got started on Harry Potter… need I say more? Instant love. I still reread the series at least twice a year and I have read them more times than I could possibly count.” Wells said.

Another book that was important to Wells is Watership Down by Dick Francis, who is one of her favorite authors. She read it for the first time in fourth grade, and immediately fell in love with the writing style.

“[When] I read Watership Down for the first time, I instantly loved the complexity of the plot, the characters, and the historical and political undertones. Each time I reread it, I get more meaning out of it. Watership Down is probably my favorite book of all time. If you haven’t read it, you definitely should,!” Wells said.

Wells’ love of Watership Down falls in line with her preference in literature. While dystopian future novels are often extremely popular among children and teenagers, including The Hunger Games and Divergent, Wells prefers other types of novels like mysteries and historical fiction.

“I really love mysteries, especially by Dick Francis and Agatha Christie. I also love historical fiction and fantasy. Realistic fiction is great too, but I haven’t been able to find a lot of entertaining or meaningful realistic fiction lately. Honestly though, I will usually go for any fiction that isn’t dystopian or sci-fi.” Wells said.

Unfortunately, Wells doesn’t have nearly as much time to read as she used to. Remembering her favorite books from elementary school is bittersweet because she finds it much more difficult to read as a high schooler. Fitting in time to read in her busy schedule of homework and sports seems impossible sometimes.

“Now that I am at TJ, I have a lot less time to read, especially this winter because my schedule was insane. Homework is another major obstacle… I still try to read as much as possible though. I definitely wish I had more time to read… reading is probably my favorite thing to do in my free time, and I don’t have a lot of that right now.” Wells said.

Despite the lack of time she has for reading today, Wells recognizes now that reading was the foundation of her childhood and appreciates the variety of literature she had access to. She could not imagine her life without her favorite books and the knowledge of different cultures, customs, and ways of life that she has gained.

“Reading is great entertainment and it provides an endless supply of new perspectives and new worlds to visit. It’s my favorite thing to do in spare time, and honestly it’s just a great way to relax and unwind.” Wells said.