We need to talk about Ariana Grande

We need to talk about Ariana Grande

Grande performing during her Dangerous Woman tour in 2017. Courtesy of esheehanphotos on Flickr

Aafreen Ali, Staff Writer

Billboard Magazine declared Ariana Grande a “pop superstar.”

A well-deserved title, considering she is the first soloist to hold the top three spots on the Billboard Top 100, and only the second act ever, after the Beatles in 1964. A well-deserved title, because all twelve songs from her album “thank u, next” made it onto the Billboard Top 100 since it was released on Feb. 9. A well-deserved title, since Grande won International Female Solo Artist at the 2019 Brit Awards. A well-deserved title, considering her 94 awards won and 188 nominations for her music.

A well-deserved title, indeed. But what exactly makes Grande’s music so popular?

Of course, the main factor is her music itself. The songs are emotional and powerful, catchy and tuneful. Grande’s four-octave range and overall vocal prowess help her hit pretty much every note perfectly.

The messages Grande sends through her songs are also part of her success. The singer, who has been in therapy since her parents divorced when she was a child, is completely open to the public about her problems. Her latest struggles including dealing with the death of ex-boyfriend Mac Miller and the split with her fiancé Pete Davidson. She addressed these events with her songs “no tears left to cry” and the aptly named “pete davidson.” Grande’s honesty with the people made them die-hard fans and created a support network for the singer.

Other songs openly display Grande’s feminist attitude. Lyrics like “When all is said and done / You’ll believe God is a woman” and “And, girl, you too, you are so young / And beautiful and so successful” tell us that Grande is fine with being a woman and owning it. That’s probably why she owns the pop industry today.

Grande’s quick releases and marketing strategies may also contribute in part to her popularity. Hits in her 2018 album Sweetener like “raindrops,” “no tears left to cry,” and “God is a woman” came out on Aug. 17, 2018, and the next album, thank u, next, was released Feb. 8, 2019. Her songs kept the public buzzing about her music and willing to listen, making even the least interesting fans ready to click play. Smart moves like releasing snippets of music videos or songs on social media beforehand caused the same effect. Grande’s publicity strategies are part of the reason why she’s so popular.

Overall, Ariana Grande’s popularity comes not only from her musical talent, but from her honest approach to the music industry and her shrewd business skills. She is undoubtedly one of the most empowered singers in the industry today.