Jefferson Jazz Band and Swing Dance club host first ever Valentine’s Day dance

Seniors Wan Li and Maxwell Lee enjoy a night of jazz music and swing dancing at A Swingin' Valentine's on Feb. 15.

Antonio Martin

Antonio Martin

Antonio Martin

Rose Du and Sarah Wang

Jefferson’s Jazz Band partnered with the Swing Dance club on Friday, Feb. 15, to host Jefferson’s first ever Valentine’s Day dance: A Swingin’ Valentine’s. This free dance highlighted TJ Jazz Band and the Jefferson Jazz Combo, who performed two hours of live jazz music, and featured swing dance lessons from the TJ Swing Dance Team. In addition, delicious desserts and appetizers and exquisite photography were provided.

“We mainly just wanted an opportunity to play the music we love for the student body,” senior Laura Gersony, a Jazz Band member and a coordinator of the dance, said. “Jazz is a wonderful complement to romance, so Valentine’s Day was the perfect occasion.”

Although it was the first time a Valentine’s Day dance was hosted at Jefferson, A Swingin’ Valentine’s attracted almost 200 people. Students attended for a variety of reasons. Most students showed up simply to experience something new and fun.

“I went because I thought it would be a good opportunity to hang out with friends. I could also meet people there,” sophomore Shristi Nadkarni said.

Other students attended to volunteer their time in teaching others how to dance.

“I was asked to help teach the attendees how to swing dance,” junior Alexa Bailey said.

Despite the varying reasons for attending, it is safe to say that some attendees thoroughly enjoyed the experience of A Swingin’ Valentine’s.

“Many people approached me after the event complimenting the food, music, and ambiance, and they encouraged Jazz Band to host it again next year,” Gersony said.

With the majority of attendees expressing satisfaction in this year’s Valentine’s Day dance, many hope the dance will be hosted again in the future. Luckily for these students, there is a good chance that a Valentine’s Day dance will still take place next year, and possibly for the following years to come.

“The dance has the potential to become a new TJ tradition,” Bailey said. “It was fun to help teach others how to swing dance, which is something that I’ve grown to love so much during my time at TJ.”

A re-hosting of A Swingin’ Valentine’s next year is very possible due to the undoubted responsibility and spirit of the current Jazz Band underclassmen.

“Thankfully, Jazz Band has a lot of enthusiastic underclassmen who are looking forward to organizing it next year,” Gersony said. “I almost wish I weren’t graduating so I could see next year’s dance.”