Students show appreciation to counselors during national school counseling week

Students+submitted+their+handwritten+notes+to+their+counselors+in+a+mailbox+located+in+Student+Services.+

Students submitted their handwritten notes to their counselors in a mailbox located in Student Services.

Karen Song, Staff Writer

Student Services announced counselor Sean Burke as the winner of the contest with the most appreciation notes on Feb. 14 . Sitara Uppalapati, JW Strassberg, Robert Greene, Joey Mecherikunnel, Eli Lang, Aastha Mistry, and Fiona Carcani were announced as the student winners of the contest.

2019’s National School Counseling Week was celebrated from Feb. 4 through Feb. 8, “to focus public attention on the unique contribution of school counselors within U.S. school systems”, according to the American Counselor School Association. To celebrate the week, Student Services hosted a Counselor Appreciation Note Contest, running from Feb. 1 to Feb. 14. Students were able to fill out a note and deposit it in a special appreciation mailbox located in Student Services. At the end of the contest, the counselor with the most notes would win a Starbucks gift card. Each counselor would also randomly choose one of their notes and the students who submitted would win a prize as well.

National School Counseling Week highlights the impact school counselors can have in helping students succeed in school and plan for a career. Students will still be able to submit notes to their counselors until the end of the month. Notes can also be submitted to teachers, administrators, counselors, staff, coaches, and 8th period sponsors.