A club for the curious to code

Code++ is a new club gaining in popularity that teaches advanced programming languages

Photo courtesy of Flickr.

Anushka Molugu, Staff Writer

Matlab. MongoDB. These programming languages and more are so advanced that students won’t find them in Jefferson’s classrooms.  This year, Code++ has taken up the challenge of teaching these languages to any who want to learn, and this new club that has been gaining major popularity. President of the club, junior Rishabh Misra, elaborates on the typical itinerary of the club.

“We do lectures based on different programming languages and frameworks that people want to learn so that’s what are main activities are,” Misra said. “We also hold competitions where after we learn a language or topic, students can submit an app or a program or something to win flash drives and candy.”

Some of the languages they are currently teaching are MongoDB and Matlab, which are more advanced and diverse compared to the basics that Jefferson teaches. Matlab is a numerical computing program, while MongoDB is document-oriented database program. Junior Rohan Kalra, the vice-president of the club explains what makes the club so different from TJ CS courses.

“As amazing as the TJ CS program is, I think the opportunity to learn things that are not even taught at TJ is priceless,” Kalra said. “There are languages and frameworks that are being used in the industry and will allow students to get a head start in the field.”

Although the club has had a hiatus in meetings due to the snow days, they have still garnered popularity and regard. This allows the officers of the club to accomplish exactly what they intended to with the club. Secretary Neil Rayala talks about what he specifically wanted members to get out of the club.

“We hope that students gain enough knowledge of the taught languages to develop their own applications and participate in competitions and hackathons,” Rayala said.

The officers plan on creating competitions within club, allowing members to demonstrate what they have learned in an enjoyable way.

“I hope they have a lot of fun learning these sorts of languages. I find CS really fun and I hope I can spread that to a lot of people. Something else [that is useful] is also like the actual skills,” Misra said. “They should be able to effectively apply the languages they learned in, maybe, jobs and internships or even like school work and projects like Hack TJ and stuff like that. So those are the two main goals.”