Boys varsity basketball team loses to Falls Church but triumphs in spirit: Photo highlights

Jefferson players team up against a player on the other side to gain possession of the ball. Jefferson’s Men’s JV Basketball team faced off against the Falls Church team and ended with a loss by one point. “You're allowed to grab the ball as long as you don't reach over someone or reach with both arms around someone. In the picture, Ian is grabbing him[Falls Church player] from the back, that’s illegal,” sophomore Rakesh Pillai said.

Jessica Feng and Reena Wang

Photo highlights from a home game against Falls Church High School, in which the boys varsity basketball team lost by a margin of a couple points. The boys junior varsity team lost to Falls Church with a final score of 41-40, while the freshman team won 36-24.

• Singing the National Anthem, senior Chrissy Blake's performances marks the start of the Men’s Varsity Basketball game against Falls Church High School. Blake has participated in musical theater for most of her life. “I practiced a bunch and did some vocal warm ups beforehand. I was pretty nervous so I was really just hoping I wouldn't accidentally forget any of the words.”

• Looking for an open pass, junior Alex Yu hopes to shoot in front of Falls Church High School’s hoop. The Men’s Varsity Basketball game occurred at TJHSST Friday night, where many fans came out to support. There are four basic passes: the chest pass, the bounce pass, the overhead pass, and the wrap-around pass.

• In the defensive zone, senior Will Pemble defends against star player Noah Strother. On Friday night, the Men’s Varsity Basketball teams of Jefferson and Falls Church faced off. While Pemble is guarding Strother, Charlie Dobson is there to absorb damage if Pemble gets beat.

• Playing defensively, Phineas Ulmishek-Anderson, a senior, protects the ball from a player from the other team. The Jefferson Men’s Varsity Basketball team hosted Falls Church on Friday night. “Keep the ball close and low, protect it with your off hand and your body, and make sure you can always see the whole floor, including your defender,” Ulmishek-Anderson said.

• In a deadlock, #20, Joshua Lovejoy, struggles to maintain possession of the ball against an opposing player, Caleb Botts. Jefferson’s varsity basketball team faced off against Falls Church High School friday night. Lovejoy’s teammates support his fight .

• Jefferson players team up against a player on the other side to gain possession of the ball. Jefferson’s Men’s JV Basketball team faced off against the Falls Church team and ended with a loss by one point. “You're allowed to grab the ball as long as you don't reach over someone or reach with both arms around someone. In the picture, Ian is grabbing him[Falls Church player] from the back, that’s illegal,” sophomore Rakesh Pillai said.

• Sophomore Ian Gresenz stands at the top of the key and scans the court for open players inside the offensive zone. The Men’s JV Basketball team played Falls Church Friday evening. The key is the box between the hoop and the three-point line(semi-circle around the hoop) and all shots beyond there are 3 points instead of 2.

• Caden Phillips manages to get his hand on the ball and a jump ball is called. The Men’s JV Basketball team played Falls Church Friday evening. “Whenever there is a loose ball everyone scrambles to try and gain possession. Kind of like a fumble in football. Here I dove on the ball and #50 tried to rip it away from me but because I had possession we were able to call a timeout,” Phillips said.

• Caden Phillips is inbounding the ball, which means the other team stepped out of bounds or they were the last to touch the ball before it went out. On Friday night, the Men’s JV Basketball teams of Jefferson and Falls Church High School faced off. Phillips must pass the ball back in bounds within 5 seconds or it will lead to the other team earning possession of the ball.

• The JV bench rises up and supports their teammates after a spectacular rush and score by Jefferson. The Men’s JV Basketball team played Falls Church Friday evening. Although Jefferson lost, moral throughout the game was high.

• Both teams line up for handshakes at the end of the game. This is the last game of the freshmen basketball season, “Freshman season has been a great experience, the team has created lasting bonds that will last through TJ and beyond. The season itself has had many ups and downs with many great victories and some soul crushing losses, but we needed all of those moments to improve and get better. All in all, I’m glad I was part of freshman basketball."

• Arjun Jagdeesh tries to press number 13 into turning the ball over. The Men’s Freshman Basketball team played against Falls Church High School at TJHSST Friday night.

• A Falls Church High School player prepares to shoot a free throw. The game between TJHSST and Falls Church High School happened at Jefferson on Friday night. This occurs when a shooting foul is incurred by the other team. Players get one free throw if they get fouled and make the shot anyway, two when they miss the shot but get fouled, and three when they get fouled outside of the three point line.

• Arjun Jagannathan dribbles the ball to try and try to pass it to his teammates. Arjun Jagannathan dribbles around to create space for his teammates and moves the defense to create open shots and good opportunities. By dribbling towards the center he can either shoot the ball or pass to a teammate.

• Arjun Jagdeesh is guarding his man so number 10 of Falls Church can’t get to the basket. The Jefferson Men’s Varsity Basketball team hosted Falls Church on Friday night. Kingsley Kim is playing a gap position so that if Jagdeesh gets beat Kim is there to absorb the damage.

• Dan Nguyen, a freshmen, tries to keep the possession of the ball coming out of the backcourt, while a player of the other team grabs ahold of him illegally. The Men’s Freshman Basketball game against Falls Church High School occurred at TJHSST Friday night. “Playing Basketball this season was a blast. Being out on that court and wearing a TJ uniform every game day was a great honor,” Nguyen said.

• Freshman Franco Scartascini rushes back on defense. The Jefferson vs Falls Church game ended with a 36-24 win. “In basketball to be a good team you need to have a good defense as well as offense. In defense you need to be disciplined so that you have proper communication and teamwork. Without those things, no defense can be complete, only by working together can a team be truly successful.” Scartascini said.

• Freshman Todd Kortum makes a free throw. The Freshmen Basketball team played against Falls Church High School. Players are allowed two free throw attempts after a shooting foul.