Taking the lead

A new Ethical Leadership class being offered at Jefferson teaches students leadership skills.

Taking the lead

Course details for the Ethical Leadership class. Photo courtesy of the Fairfax County Public Schools website.

Sindhu Ragunathan, Staff Writer

Those looking for an interesting semester class for next year will find that a new class, called “Ethical Leadership”, has been added to TJ’s course catalog.

Junior Mihir Sanad had been told that there was a scheduling error with his second semester class and had to pick a new class.

“When I was looking through my options, I saw [Ethical Leadership], but I didn’t know anything about it,” Sanad said. “When I found out about this class, I was excited because I didn’t know TJ offered it.”

The Ethical Leadership class is offered to sophomores, juniors, and seniors interested in learning and building their skills in leadership, organization, management, communication and other roles and responsibilities. It is especially well suited for students interested in leading student body offices, class offices and other activity offices. Within the class, students participate in discussions, development of their situation-evaluation skills and leadership exercises. According to course catalog information on the Fairfax County Public Schools website, the course qualifies as a social studies credit with a 0.5+ credit.  

Even if you do not have experience with leadership roles, this class is well suited to teaching basic skills to further development.

“This class is sure to give me leadership skills that I will value for the rest of my academic and post-academic career,” Sanad said.

If you are interested in taking this class talk to your counselors and sign up to develop and grow your skills as a leader.