How useful are late nights?

Jefferson students find that pulling all-nighters don’t produce the desired effect.

Photo courtesy of Creative Commons.

Rithvik Veeramachaneni, Staff Writer

Everyone at Jefferson acknowledges one thing to be true: getting a suggested eight hours of sleep every night is challenging, and can prove to be impossible at times. With tests, quizzes, and projects taking up the majority of our time, there is little time left for sleep. However, it’s something that everyone desires, probably because it’s difficult to work when you’re tired, and it also affect performance the next day.

“I think pulling a late night definitely has benefits, but it makes going to school [the next day] very hard,” sophomore Ajay Prabhakar said. Simply put, he finds that coming to school after a late night is very difficult, because it’s hard for him to pay attention when he gets a very little amount of sleep.

“It’s harder for me to think and work quickly after a late night,”senior Sajni Vederey said.

As a senior, she realized how hard it is to apply any facts she learned while pulling a late night. Basically, even if she stays up late studying for any kind of assessment, she feels that applying the studied material is more difficult than if she studied the same material earlier in the day.

“Procrastination has an effect, but I feel like there are other factors, such as extracurricular activities,.” Vederey said.

A lot of students at Jefferson can identify with this statement, and it’s important to realize that procrastination isn’t the culprit of all late nights. While procrastination tends to be a major reason for our loss of sleep, there are other causes. However, the effectiveness of losing sleep to study is questionable.