Thanks to the little things

TJ Minds Matter spreads sentiments of thankfulness throughout the Jefferson community with gratitude jars

Chabeli Yumang

Throughout the week from Monday, November 12 to Friday, November 16, TJ Minds Matter placed four gratitude jars around the Jefferson building, encouraging students to be thankful for the small things in their lives.

Chabeli Yumang, Staff Writer

TJ Minds Matter aimed to help spread thankfulness throughout Jefferson via their project for November: gratitude jars. With the introduction of gratitude jars present in the Turing (IBET) Commons, Library, Nobel Commons, and Franklin Commons, students were able to write one thing that they were thankful for on a piece of paper and slip it into the jar. Throughout the week from Monday, November 12 to Friday, November 16, one gratitude was read every morning announcement to share with the community one student’s slice of gratitude.

Reflecting TJ Minds Matter’s parent organization’s monthly theme for November, reducing stigma, TJ Minds Matter members unanimously decided to place gratitude jars around the school to provide some happiness in students’ lives.

“Part of [the monthly theme] includes encouraging mental wellness and recognizing the power of words, both negative and positive. By having gratitude jars around the school, we’re trying to help encourage mental wellness and promote positive messages,” sophomore Gurleen Kaur said.

Being a Jefferson student has its difficulties: stressful classes, long commutes, et cetera. Combined with the school’s reputation for joking about these difficulties and rigor, sometimes students may oversee the smallest positive things in their lives. Writing statements for the gratitude jars reminds students of small pockets of joy they normally take for granted, and shines a bit of hope into the day.

“So much of mental health is acknowledging the small things, and it’s a mentality, right? You have to have a positive mentality, and being aware and mindful of small things helps a lot with that,” TJ Minds Matter communications director, senior Robert Greene said.

TJ Minds Matter members and students alike hoped that the event would allow Jefferson students to reflect on their blessings in life and raise their spirits.

“It’s less about not being grateful, rather that TJ students have a tendency to lose sight over how good they are, and if we could break out of that mentality and even admit it and make you laugh or smile a little, then I think it’s worth it,” sophomore Anna Chung said.