Swigging into the holiday season with Starbucks

The Peppermint Mocha, one of Starbucks’ signature holiday drinks, as well as the new holiday cups introduced each year, bring a festive feeling into the atmosphere.

Pratika Katiyar, Team Leader

A life without Starbucks is a life incomplete, as is a holiday season without holiday drinks. Being an avid Starbucks drinker, and someone who ranks 14 on the pH scale, I think that the best part about the holidays isn’t the festivity lingering in the air or the Black Friday shopping. Instead, it’s the new seasonal drinks Starbucks introduces every year, especially my personal favorite: the peppermint mocha.

Photo by Hanya Ning
Me sipping my peppermint mocha as a wave of energy floods my system. Not only did the drink have a candy cane like taste, but the caffeine warmed my insides and the after taste left me wanting more.

As a Jefferson student who is constantly working or studying, coffee is basically my best friend, but I know this isn’t the case for everyone. Some of us do not like the bitter taste of pure coffee, but I’m here to tell you that the holiday drinks are a different story. Not only do they have less caffeine than just black coffee, they give off a holiday vibe that will instantly raise your spirits. Even if peppermint isn’t your thing, there are plenty of other holiday drinks such as the Caramel Brulée, the Toasted White Chocolate Mocha, the Eggnog Latte, the Chestnut Praline Latte, or if you want to keep it simple, a regular hot chocolate.

Other than the versatile array of drinks that Starbucks offers, do not get me started on the holiday cup designs. I know it seems strange that a simple thing can get me so excited, but the underlying reason for holiday cups is so much more than just aesthetics; whenever Starbucks changes its cups, it marks the start of the holidays. The different cups adorned with red and green stripes, stars, and mistletoe are heartwarming to look at, and this year’s shift towards reusable cups means they are now eco-friendly as well.

The cups and the drinks are served until Jan. 7th, so whatever you do, don’t miss out on the festive drinks or the holiday spirit.