Should we have school the day after Halloween?

Photo courtesy of Unsplash.

Reena Wang and Jessica Feng

Halloween is a once in a year opportunity to not only eat as much candy as we want, but also have a good time and laugh. One of the only downsides to Halloween is the instant regret of having to wake up early and go to school the next day.

Although some teenagers may be too old to go trick-or-treating, many still stay up late to binge watch scary movies or do something fun with friends. Furthermore, Nov. 1 is usually the day young kids are recovering from the sugar highs of the previous day as well as catching up on lost sleep from late night trick-or-treating. To expect students to go to school and learn as well as usual is unreasonable.

On a normal school day, many students already find it hard to stay awake until the end of the day. Having school the day after Halloween is only worse and is a waste of time for both teachers and students. The teachers are wasting their energy trying to teach through the sugar daze while the students are either bouncing off the walls or struggling to stay awake.

Having a break the day after Halloween is not only a time for students to regain their energy from the night before but also a time for teachers to rest and enjoy a day off from teaching. Students can also use this day to catch up on missed sleep over the past few weeks and also get a head start on assignments, especially since the last day off from school was over three weeks ago.

Halloween is more than just trick or treating or haunted houses, it marks the true beginning of autumn and the holiday season. It is also one of the most anticipated days of the year considering that many houses are decorated to the extreme with blow-ups or even sound-effects to add to the festivities. Halloween is a holiday just like Christmas, so why shouldn’t we get a day off from school?