Boys varsity soccer qualifies for Capitol Conference Finals, after defeating Lee High School 1-0

Justin Chang, Staff Writer

On May 17th, the boys’ varsity team qualified for the Capitol Conference Final, after defeating Lee High School 1-0 in extra time. The team qualified for the Conference Finals, hoping to qualify for the Region 5A tournament. The game was held at Jefferson since they were seeded first in their division with a record of 9 wins, 3 losses, and a tie. As the game began, neither team managed to score, despite several free kicks and corner kicks awarded to both teams. As the first and second half ended, the game went into 10 minutes of extra time. At 2 minutes into extra time, Jefferson managed to score, placing the Colonials at a 1-0 lead. With high morale and energy, coach Burke was seen reminding the team to stay alert and focused until the very end of the game. The game soon escalated with Lee High School fans, players, and coaches screaming and shouting, followed by a warning by the announcers and referees for their unsportsmanlike conduct during the game. With 5 minutes remaining, Jefferson had another goal-scoring opportunity with a one on one with the goalkeeper. However, Lee’s keeper dived for the ball, sending Jefferson’s forward tumbling to the ground. The goalkeeper was then awarded a red card for his dangerous actions and Jefferson was awarded a free kick, but was unable to score. With less than 1 minute remaining, Lee desperately looked to score, but Jefferson’s strong defense prevent them doing so, and as the final whistle blew, Jefferson players and coaches ran onto the field to celebrate their win against Lee High School and for a chance to qualify for the Region 5A tournament.