National Honor Society hosts cookie-decorating and card-making event for local firefighters

Members of the National Honor Society decorate cookies to send to the Annandale Volunteer Fire Department. The event took place on March 29 during eighth period.

Lilia Qian, Staff Writer

The National Honor Society (NHS) organizes monthly service activities for students, both NHS members and non-members, to help make a difference in the community as well as to earn service hours. For March, NHS hosted an activity to decorate cookies and write cards to send to the Annandale Volunteer Fire Department as a gesture of appreciation.

“It was really heartwarming to see a bunch of people really excited to work together to decorate cookies for the fire department and make so many cards,” NHS president Audrey Huang said. “It just continues to support the idea that national honor society is more than just a label – it’s a community of people who are all excited to help out and work together.”

Each month, the NHS creates a theme for service activities; the theme for March is giving back to the police and fire departments.

“Considering that many of our firefighters volunteer their time and work longer hours than most, we thought that delivering some handmade treats and cards to show our appreciation would be the most fitting [activity],” NHS vice president Suzie Bae said.

Monthly service activities are centered around the four pillars of the National Honor Society: scholarship, service, leadership, and character.

“With two of our mostly strongly emphasized pillars being service and character, the event allowed students, regardless of whether they were NHS members or not, to exhibit positive character and active service engagement,” Bae said. “It definitely showed that NHS goes beyond each member participating in their own outreach, but involves a more group and school-wide approach.”

In addition being service activities, the events give NHS members a venue to meet with each other during 8th periods.

“It’s really difficult to get all the members to meet,” Huang said. “[In these activities], you can come and hang out with other members and it makes NHS more of a physical presence in the school.”
Through monthly events, the NHS strives to help students become more thoughtful and engaged members of the community.

“It was great to see everyone so immersed into either writing a thoughtful card or decorating a cookie,” Bae said.  “I noticed how the activity encouraged the attendees to consider and discuss the sacrifices that our firefighters make for the local community daily.”