Finding my Passion of the Pen

Scholastic Journalism Week, lasting from Feb. 21-27, is a time for student journalists to celebrate their work and other students work.  Through various activities, including complimenting other schools on their good work and writing thank you notes to teachers, counselors and students who have helped them, student journalists can reflect on their experiences as journalists.

Scholastic Journalism Week, lasting from Feb. 21-27, is a time for student journalists to celebrate their work and other students’ work. Through various activities, including complimenting other schools on their good work and writing thank you notes to teachers, counselors and students who have helped them, student journalists can reflect on their experiences as journalists.

Sabria Kazmi, Staff writer

The truth is, I hadn’t planned on taking journalism. I’d never even considered it. I didn’t have anything against it, I just didn’t think of it when I thought of classes I wanted to take. However, I had problems with my schedule at the beginning of the year, and I ended up in Journalism 1. Now that it’s been 6 months since I started taking the class, my opinion has completely changed. There are so many reasons I love journalism, some superficial, like the delicious food, but others about the feeling I get in journalism.

One thing that’s really nice about journalism class is that the class is like a family. Even though my class is mixed with Journalism 1, 2, 3, 4, and Broadcast, we all help each other and work together as a team. I can feel comfortable asking anyone for help or advice when I need it.

Another thing I love about the class is that it allows you to explore all types of media, not just writing articles. At first I though all I would be doing is writing, but soon realized I was wrong. During my training to become a staff writer at the beginning of the year, I learned how to use many different methods of communication. I now know how to create broadcast videos, record podcasts (which you should check out, it’s called tjTABLE), live tweet events, and more. I really enjoy the freedom we have when it comes to how we chose to relay information.

Although all of the reasons I’ve mentioned are a part of why I love journalism, one of the biggest reasons is because I feel like journalism is a very crucial part of society. I know that as a school newsmagazine, tjTODAY doesn’t necessarily have a significant impact on anyone outside our school, but without journalism, or any other form of media, society would lack knowledge of the world around them. Being a part of journalism, even if it’s only at a high school level, makes me feel like I’m having an impact on society.