Varsity girls’ basketball team plays first home game

Photo courtesy of twitter.com/TJGirlsBBall

The Jefferson varsity girls’ basketball team prepares to play against Madeira

Angel Kim, Staff Writer

For their first home game, the Jefferson girls’ varsity basketball team faced off against Madeira School on Dec. 4. After making accurate shots in the beginning of the game, Jefferson had scored 23-0 by the end of the first quarter. At the conclusion of the game, they were winning 64-12, with 6 fouls on both sides.

“We got our energy out, and almost everyone scored,” junior Dana Scheetz said. “It was very exciting to win a game.”

The team was particularly successful in creating turnovers and demonstrating control in playing on the offensive.

“We did a good job on pressing and we got lots of steals,” freshman Savannah Wilson said.

Team members also recognize there are ways to keep improving throughout the season. Jefferson had narrowly lost 39-41 at their previous game on Dec. 2 against Potomac School.

“We need to talk more on defense and communicate better as a team on the floor,” Wilson said.

Meanwhile, a fundraiser was being held at Firehouse Subs in Pinecrest Plaza from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. A portion of the proceeds from customers at the restaurant went to the team. This is the first time the team conducted a fundraiser for this occasion. Money from the fundraiser will help fund future purchases of new equipment and gear for the team.

“[The fundraiser] is a new event we held this year for our first home game,” coach Liz Reed said.

For Scheetz, this season seems to be going more smoothly than previous years because now a majority of the team has been cooperating for a longer time.

“We have a lot more experience, a whole year working together, because we have a lot of juniors on the team,” Scheetz said.

Their next game will be on Dec. 8 at Yorktown High School.