Fall sports awards recognizes student-athletes

Emmalyn Kim, Staff Writer

The Fall Sports Awards took place on November 18, and recognized Jefferson’s fall athletes.  Before the ceremony started, there was a coffee and cookie reception to celebrate the athletes.  At 7:00, the awards ceremony began with  Rusty Hodges, Director of Student Activities, presenting the post-season awards.  Mark Gray-Mendes, Activities Assistant, presented the All-Conference and All-Region Awards, and special recognitions were made by athletic trainer Heather Murphy.  Cindy Waddell, president of the Colonial Athletic Boosters, followed with the importance of fundraising and joining the Colonial Athletic Boosters.  The ceremony wrapped up with Closing Remarks by Dave Gardziel, Assistant Director of Student Activities.

imageedit_10_9482516914“The Fall Sports Awards are definitely a great idea, it gets lots of students involved,”  freshman Johnathan Huynh, member of the Cross Country team, said.

After the main ceremony, the fall teams went to different rooms to celebrate both team and individual accomplishments.

Boys’ Cross Country placed second in states, and Girls’ Cross Country placed second in Conference 13.  Field Hockey also placed second in Conference 13, and advanced to the quarterfinals in Regionals.  Football placed 7th in Conference 13, and Volleyball placed 6th in Conference 13.  Co-ed golf placed 1st in Conference 13 and Regionals, and placed 2nd in states.

“I think it’s a great way for the team to get together after the season ends, and to see your team one last time,” junior Christine Wang, member of the golf team, said.