TJSD reflects on season after senior night and looks to the future post-season

Kate Deng, Entertainment Editor

Thomas Jefferson Swim and Dive (TJSD), along with being known as a good regional and state school team, is also known for their spirit and extravagant senior nights. This year, the Class of 2016 made sure Jan. 9 would be a night to remember.

“Senior night was really bittersweet since I genuinely wanted the seniors to have a great night, but at the same time it’s like recognizing that they’re about to leave. I’ve looked up to TJSD seniors ever since I was a freshman. It’s hard to imagine that next year it’s going to be us doing all that, because honestly I can’t think of anyone who could replace TJSD 2015,” junior Matthew Guo said.

For Senior Night 2015, every senior was made a poster and personalized gifts such as pillow pets, lanyards and towels. Along with that, juniors made a remake of Taylor Swift’s “22” and called it “24,” for all 24 seniors on TJSD this year. During senior night, every senior prepared a speech and everyone exchanged their goodbyes.

“I’ve spent the last three years watching TJSD senior nights, and it’s unreal to think about how ours has already flown past. And I’m excited for the upcoming championship meets, but sad that they will be my last swimming with TJSD,” senior Luke Thorsell said.

After almost three weeks later, the TJSD season has come to an end. The last team-wide meet of the year was last Friday, Jan. 23. The end of the TJSD season marks the start of the post-season, including the North Region and State Championships within the last weeks of January and all of February.

“I’m stoked for post-season but nervous at the same time. 2015 is our best class, so this is our year to take home the state championship for both boys and girls,” junior Charlie Lertlumprasert said. “In the girls 200 medley relay this year, we are trying to break the school record!”