Students react to new terms and conditions for eighth period

photo courtesy of iodine.tjhsst.edu.

In order to sign into eighth period, students are required to accept the policies for eighth period.

Sandy Cho and Kate Deng

As winter break winds down to an end and students begin to sign up for eighth periods, many were surprised to find a terms and conditions page relating to attendance and administrative detention.

In particular, if students accept the policies, they must sign up for eighth period before the end of lunch or else they will be assigned to an Administrative Study Hall. However, those who do sign up and receive two or more uncleared absences in a quarter will be assigned to Administrative Detention. If students receive any additional absences in the same quarter after attending Administrative Detention detention, they will be assigned to attend another session of Administration Detention.

Despite already knowing the gist of these policies, many were still startled to see them in detail. In particular, senior Sumved Ravi believes that students should be given the chance to sign into a club even after lunch.

“I find that new Intranet policies, although created for better student regulation, during eighth period are much stricter than should be,” Ravi said. “Having students with only two absences get put in Administrative Detention is ridiculous. Students should have the freedom to move between eighth periods depending on their needs.”

However, others were grateful that the eighth period administration took the time to remind them of these rules, especially as they forgot the policies over winter break.

“I think it’s nice of Intranet to lay down the policies in fine print because I don’t think it was ever formally mentioned and this makes it easier to follow,” Xia said.

Although the terms and conditions page may seem unnecessary to some students, many agree with the mission of the eighth period office to help students keep themselves accountable during the school day.

“Intranet appears to be making an effort to formalize the organization of the TJ community,” freshman Cassie Quach said. “I believe this will benefit students in the long run.”