tjTOMORROW: University of Michigan

Stav Nachum

Representatives Joseph Gore and Sharon Burch presented the features of the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor at the College and Career Center on Oct. 24.

Stav Nachum, News Editor

Name: University of Michigan at Ann Arbor

Location: Ann Arbor, MI

Freshman Class Size: 7,070

Strong Programs: Stephen M. Ross School of Business, College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA), College of Engineering, Gerald R. Ford School of Public Policy, study abroad program, undergraduate research opportunities

Representatives: Joseph Gore (Undergraduate Admissions) 734-764-7433, [email protected] and Sharon Burch (Engineering) 734-647-7100, [email protected]

Located in Ann Arbor, MI, the University of Michigan is one of the nation’s leading universities, with all but one of its colleges ranking in the top ten in the nation. In fact, The Princeton Review ranked the University of Michigan as number five in the best value colleges. The university has countless student organizations, 29 NCAA division one teams  and over fifteen student entrepreneur groups available on campus. With the added opportunities provided in a wide variety of internships and study abroad programs, students’ possibilities seem endless.

During the information session, the first representative discussed the academic possibilities available to all students who attend the University of Michigan. While the College of Literature, Science and the Arts (LSA), the largest college with the greatest number of majors, is usually where students start out in their freshman year, there are schools for specific fields, such as business, education and public policy, available afterwards. Students can, however, apply for preferred admission to these specialized programs in their college applications in order to ensure a spot sophomore year. Scholarships and honors programs are available to students through individual colleges and programs.

In addition to mentioning the academics provided at the University of Michigan, the first representative also discussed the activities, opportunities, and social life available on campus. With a commitment to service rooted in a proud history of President John F. Kennedy creating the Peace Corps on the steps of Michigan Union and over 1500 student organizations available on campus, the character of the school and liveliness o the University of Michigan shines through. Though he joked that many students wonder if it is difficult to acclimate to the cold weather, he assured everyone that after some time it simply feels natural.

The final part of the presentation was dedicated to the second representative, a director of the undergraduate engineering recruitment initiative, in order to showcase the College of Engineering to the Jefferson community. Including a chance to start engineering from freshman year and a one to one advising program, the College of Engineering at the University of Michigan provides unique opportunities for its undergraduate students. There are chances to work hands on in the hospital for bioengineering students, as well as countless opportunities for internships and co-ops.

Overall, the University of Michigan at Ann Arbor offers a wide range of opportunities in both academics and student life for all students, despite the large size of the student body. This university truly provides a perfect blend of academics at an Ivy League caliber and extracurricular events and organizations throughout the year in countless possibilities. The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor seems to be an incredible choice for any student who wants a rigorous academic experience while also having the ability to take part in a wide variety of extracurricular activities and events on campus.